Skip to main content

May I claim a home heating credit if I am a college student?

You may qualify if all of the following apply:

  • Your permanent residence is in Michigan
  • You are not a full-time student who is claimed as a dependent on another person's income tax return
  • You do not live in college or university operated housing (including dormitories, residence halls, or apartments)
  • You were contracted to pay rent or owned the home where you live
  • Your income is within the income limits listed in Tables A and B of the MI-1040CR-7 Home Heating Credit Claim Instructions
  • You submit the MI-1040CR-7 by the deadline of September 30 

Total Household Resources Checklist

Home Heating Credit Information

View MI-1040CR-7 to determine if you qualify.