The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
35 Michigan Libraries Hosting 2019 Braille Enhanced StoryWalk® for Visually-Impaired Kids
May 7, 2019
LANSING – Families with visually-impaired children are encouraged to explore stories by touch and reading aloud while enjoying outdoor activities at 35 public libraries across the state as part of the 2019 Braille Enhanced StoryWalk®, the Library of Michigan (LM) announced today.
“StoryWalk is a fun, educational activity conceived as a way to inspire parents and caregivers to take young children outdoors for physical activity and to engage in literacy,” State Librarian Randy Riley said. “By including braille, libraries help embrace accessibility and equal access to information, especially for the hundreds of visually-impaired students in Michigan’s public schools.”
The second-annual event is a collaboration of the Braille and Talking Book Library (BTBL); LM; and Michigan Department of Education – Low Incidence Outreach (MDE-LIO).
The 35 participating libraries are:
- Allen Park Public Library
- Big Rapids Community Library
- Bloomfield Township Public Library
- Branch District Library, Coldwater
- Briggs District Library, St. Johns
- Chesterfield Township Library
- Clarkston Independence District Library
- Clinton-Macomb Public Library/Macomb Library for the Blind & Physically Handicapped
- Flint Public Library
- Frankenmuth Wickson District Library
- Genesee District Library: Fenton-Winegarden Library
- Grosse Pointe Public Library
- Highland Township Public Library
- Homer Public Library
- Howard Miller Library, Zeeland
- Huntington Woods Library
- Jonesville District Library
- Jordan Valley District Library, East Jordan
- Lenox Township Library
- Milan Public Library, Milan
- Muskegon Area District Library for the Visually & Physically Disabled
- Oscoda County Library
- Portage District Library
- Portage Lake District Library
- Public Libraries of Saginaw: Zauel Memorial Library and Butman-Fish Library
- Rawson Memorial Library, Cass City
- Redford Township
- Richfield Township Public Library
- Salem South Lyon District Library
- Saline District Library
- Spies Public Library, Menominee
- Stair District Library, Morenci
- Sterling Heights Public Library
- Superior District Library, Sault Ste. Marie
Please contact a participating library for dates and location.
For more information on StoryWalk®, contact Cathy Lancaster, Youth Services Coordinator at the LM, at 517-335-8129 or at email@example.com.
The StoryWalk® Project was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT and developed in collaboration with the Kellogg-Hubbard Library. StoryWalk® is a registered service mark owned by Ferguson. This project was made possible, in part, by the Institute of Museum and Library Services funds, administered by the LM.