The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
School Libraries in the 21st Century
Strive for Excellence - School Libraries 21st Century
SL 21 Measurement Benchmarks for Michigan School Libraries for 21st Century Schools
SL 21 Measurement Benchmarks for Michigan School Libraries PDF Sample. Application is made online.
SUBMIT an SL 21 APPLICATION
- Start an SL 21 APPLICATION
- Return to a saved SL 21 APPLICATION
- Signature sheet to submit in the online application
NOTE: Online application works best in Firefox or Internet Explorer. Do NOT use Chrome.
Model SL 21
2023/2024 Model SL 21 School Library - Allen Park High School Media Center
The Library of Michigan is pleased to announce that the Allen Park High School Library Media Center, part of the Allen Park Public Schools, is the 2023/2024 Model 21st Century School Library! The Allen Park High School Library Media Center, with library media specialist Melissa Lambert, is a place where Melissa’s collaborative teaching with teaching staff and partnership with the local public library has created an engaging, active learning environment for Allen Park High School students and teachers.
Allen Park High School Library Media Center staff are available to consult with school district leaders, school librarians, and educators who want to develop or expand their vision for their school library programs. Interested persons may contact Melissa Lambert at email@example.com or Karren Reish at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Press Release - Allen Park High School Library Media Center named the 2023-2024 21st Century Model School Library
Previous Model SL 21 School Libraries
- 2016/2017 - Carpenter Elementary Media Center with Jeannine Crissman, Technology and Library Specialist, in the Lake Orion Community Schools
- 2017/2018 - East Middle School Library with Katherine Lester, School Library Media Specialist, in the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools
- 2018/2019 - Lakeview High School Library with Margaret Lincoln, District Librarian, in the Lakeview School District
- 2019/2020 - Owen Intermediate Library Media Center with Jonathan Richards, Media Specialist, in the Van Buren Public Schools
- 2020/2021 - Everett High School Library with Joy Currie, Librarian in the Lansing Public Schools
- 2021/2022 - West Maple Elementary School Library with Carrie Betts, School Librarian in the Birmingham School District
- 2022/2023 - Troy High School Media Center with Toni Isaac, School Librarian, in the Troy School District
Model School Libraries - Promoting Quality School Library Programs
The Model 21st Century School Library (Model SL 21) provides examples and mentors for K-12 school libraries throughout the state. Libraries interested in serving as models for the school library community are welcome to nominate themselves or another school library at the survey below. Each year, a school library program is selected and highlighted as the Model SL 21 School Library Program of the Year. The expectations for the selected school library is that the staff will meet with other school library staff during their term as the Model library to help promote and encourage quality K-12 school library programs across the state.
Nominations are accepted in the spring, the Model Library for the coming school year is announced in May and serves as a mentor throughout the next year to library staff and schools around the state. Consider nominating your school library!