The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
School Libraries in the 21st Century
Strive for Excellence - School Libraries 21st Century
SL 21 Measurement Benchmarks for Michigan School Libraries for 21st Century Schools
SL 21 Measurement Benchmarks for Michigan School Libraries PDF Sample. Application is made online.
SUBMIT an SL 21 APPLICATION
- Start an SL 21 APPLICATION
- Return to a saved SL 21 APPLICATION
- Signature sheet to submit in the online application
NOTE: Online application works best in Firefox or Internet Explorer. Do NOT use Chrome.
Model SL 21
2021/2022 Model SL 21 School Library - West Maple Elementary School Library
The Library of Michigan is pleased to announce that West Maple Elementary School Library, in the Birmingham School District, is the 2021/2022 Model 21st Century School Library! The West Maple Elementary School Library with school librarian, Carrie Betts, is a place where students and the community have opportunities to learn beyond their daily experiences. The library won the SL 21 honor for its focus on bringing diverse life experiences to the school community as well as outstanding academic support. During the uncertain times of this last year, Carrie has brought a virtual read aloud and discussion program, using titles from the MISelf in Books list, to her students and school community groups.
West Maple Elementary School Library staff are available to consult with school district leaders, school librarians, and educators who want to develop, expand, or cast new vision for their school library programs. Interested persons may contact Carrie Betts at firstname.lastname@example.org or me at email@example.com.
Previous Model SL 21 School Libraries
- 2016/2017 - Carpenter Elementary Media Center with Jeannine Crissman, Technology and Library Specialist, in the Lake Orion Community Schools
- 2017/2018 - East Middle School Library with Katherine Lester, School Library Media Specialist, in the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools
- 2018/2019 - Lakeview High School Library with Margaret Lincoln, District Librarian, in the Lakeview School District
- 2019/2020 - Owen Intermediate Library Media Center with Jonathan Richards, Media Specialist, in the Van Buren Public Schools
- 2020/2021 - Everett High School Library with Joy Currie, Librarian in the Lansing Public Schools
Model School Libraries - Promoting Quality School Library Programs
The Model 21st Century School Library (Model SL 21) provides examples and mentors for K-12 school libraries throughout the state. Libraries interested in serving as models for the school library community are welcome to nominate themselves at the survey below. Each year, a school library program is selected and highlighted as the Model SL 21 School Library Program of the Year. The expectations for the selected school library is that the staff will meet with other school library staff during their term as the Model library to help promote and encourage quality K-12 school library programs across the state.
- Submit a Nomination for the 2022/2023 Model SL 21 School Library - Nominations closed.
Nominations are accepted in the spring, the Model Library for the coming school year is announced in May and serves as a mentor throughout the next year to library staff and schools around the state. Consider nominating your school library!