The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Appendix C - Services
Are you offering library services and programs to your entire community? The first of two primary functions of a library is to offer library services and programs to each group within your community. Well-planned programs attract new audiences and encourage use of library materials. Reliable services provide information to users of all abilities.
- Assessing Service Quality: Satisfying the Expectations of Library Customers by Peter Hernon and Ellen Altman. Chicago: ALA, 2010.
- Reference and User Services Association
- New Definition of Reference
- Guidelines for Behavioral Performance of Reference and Information Service Providers
- Guidelines for Business Information Responses
- Guidelines for Cooperative Reference Services
- Health and Medical Reference Guidelines
- Professional Competencies for Reference and User Services Librarians
Services to Businesses
- Small Business and the Public Library: Strategies for a Successful Partnership by Luise Weiss, Sophia Serlis-McPhillips and Elizabeth Malafi. Chicago: ALA, 2010.
Services to Children
- International Federation of Library Associations - Guidelines for Children's Libraries Services
- Dynamic Youth Services through Outcome-Based Planning and Evaluation by Eliza Dresang, Melissa Gross and Leslie Edmonds Holt. Chicago: ALA 2006.
- Fundamentals of Children's Services by Michael Sullivan. Chicago: ALA, 2005.
Services to Senior Populations
- 5-Star Programming and Services for Your 55+ Library Customers by Barbara Mates. Chicago: ALA, 2003.
- Reference and User Services Association - Guidelines for Library and Information Services to Older Adults
- Boomers and Beyond: Reconsidering the Role of Libraries edited by Pauline Rothstein and Diantha Dow Schull. Chicago: ALA, 2010.
Services to Non-English Populations
- Reference and User Services Association - Guidelines for the Development and Promotion of Multilingual Collections and Services
- Reference and User Services Association - Guidelines for Library Services to Spanish-Speaking Library Users
Services to Young Adults
- Multicultural Programs for Tweens and Teens by Linda Alexander and Nahyun Kwon. Chicago: YALSA/ALA, 2009.
- Teens and Libraries: Getting It Right by Virginia Walter and Elaine Meyers. Chicago: ALA, 2003.
- Young Adult Library Services Association - National Guidelines, Young Adult Programming
- Young Adult Library Services Association - Teen Services Evaluation Tool
- Risky Business: Taking and Managing Risks in Library Services for Teens by Linda Braun, Hillias Jack Martin, and Connie Urquhart. Chicago: ALA, 2011.
Services to Hearing Impaired, Speech Impaired, Blind and Disabled Populations
- The Americans with Disabilities Act Title II Technical Assistance Manual Covering State and Local Government Programs and Services
- FCC Michigan Telephone Relay Service
- Disability Etiquette: Tips on Interacting with People with Disabilities
- Librarian 411.Org: Training and Resources to Serve Patrons with Mental Illness and/or Developmental Disabilities
Services to Low Income Populations
- Public Library Services for the Poor by Leslie Edmonds Holt and Glen E. Holt. Chicago: ALA, 2010.
- Every Child Ready to Read: Literacy program
- Colorado State Library - Tech Training for Libraries: Public Training Topics
Evaluating Library Services & Programs
- PLA Project Outcome
- Outcome Based Evaluation Basics - Institute of Museum and Library Services
- Logic Model Development Guide - W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- Evaluation Handbook - W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- George Needham and Joan Frye Williams' Services Sustainability Checklist
Useful statistics to maintain for your library
- Author/title and subject fill rates
- Browsing fill rates
- Circulation per capita
- Collection Sizes
- Community demographics
- Library Registrations
- Library Visits
- Reference transactions
- Reference transactions per capita
- Program Attendance
- Program Attendance per capita
- Turnover rates
- Visits per capita