The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Appendix F - Facilities and Equipment
Do your facilities and equipment support the full range of your services? Facilities and equipment are designed to carry out the full range of services to meet the needs of the community as determined by the library's long-range plan. Facilities need to allow for flexibility of service, for growth, and for changing priorities in service. Libraries that are conveniently and visibly located, accessible to all members of the community, comfortable, and safe invite users inside to take advantages of library services.
Facilities & Building Resources
- Equipment and Facilities Management Wiki of the American Library Association.
- Library Facilities Master Plan, Johnson County Library.
- Managing Facilities for Results: Optimizing Space for Services by Cheryl Bryan. Chicago: PLA, 2007.
- National Teen Space Guidelines by YALSA, Young Adult Services Association, 2012.
- Checklist of Library Design Considerations by William Sannwald. Chicago, ALA 2008.
- Library Security: Better Communication, Safer Facilities by Steve Albrecht, ALA Editions, 2015.
- Public Library Space Needs and Alternatives Study, Standford University.
- ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities (ADAAG)
- ADAAAG Internal Signage
- U.S. Department of Justice ADA Guide for Small Towns
- Council of State Archivists
- CoSA Pocket Response Plan
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine Emergency Preparedness & Response Toolkit
- Library Disaster Plan Template from the California Preservation Program
- See also Collection Development - Appendix D for Collection Disaster Planning - policies and plan development
- The IESNA Lighting Handbook, by David Dilaura, et. al. New York: Illuminating Engineering Society of North America, 2011.
Green Buildings: Conservation and Energy Efficiency
- International Dark Sky Association - information on dark sky lighting standards