Appendix H - Planning Resources
This appendix is a bibliography of manuals, articles and websites on managing, administration, and programming for libraries. These can give you further ideas, samples and suggestions.
- District Library Law Handbook. Lansing, Library of Michigan.
- Library Laws Handbook, Lansing, Library of Michigan, 2013.
- Michigan Public Library Trustee Manual. Lansing: Library of Michigan, 2004.
- Public Library Financial Management Guide. Lansing: Library of Michigan, 2014.
- State Aid to Public Libraries Application Process. Lansing, Library of Michigan.
- Creating Policies for Results: From Chaos to Clarity by Sandra Nelson and June Garcia. Chicago: PLA, 2003.
- Demonstrating Results: Using Outcome Measurement in Your Library by Rhea Joyce Rubin. Chicago: PLA, 2005.
- Developing a Compensation Plan for Your Library by Paula Singer. Chicago: ALA, 2002.
- Human Resources for Results: The Right Person for the Right Job by Jeanne Goodrich and Paula Singer. Chicago: PLA 2007.
- Implementing for Results: Your Strategic Plan in Action by Sandra Nelson. Chicago: PLA, 2009.
- Library as Safe Haven: Disaster Planning, Response, and Recovery by Deborah Halsted et. al., ALA Neal -Schuman, 2014.
- The Library Crisis Communications Planner: A PR Guide for Handling Every Emergency by Jan Thenell. Chicago: ALA, 2004
- Managing Facilities for Results: Optimizing Space for Services by Cheryl Bryan. Chicago: PLA, 2007.
- Managing for Results: Effective Resource Allocation for Public Libraries by Sandra Nelson, Ellen Altman and Diane Mayo. Chicago: PLA, 2000.
- Managing with Data by Peter Hernon et. al., ALA Editions, 2015.
- The New Planning for Results: a Streamlined Approach by Sandra Nelson. Chicago: PLA, 2001.
- Practical Tips for Developing Your Staff by Tracey Pratchett and Gil Young, ALA Editions, 2015.
- Staffing for Results: A Guide to Working Smarter by Diane Mayo and Jeanne Goodrich. Chicago: PLA, 2002.
- Small Public Library Management by Jane Pearlmutter and Paul Nelson. Chicago: ALA, 2012
- Strategic Planning for Results by Sandra Nelson. Chicago: PLA 2008.
- The Successful Library Trustee Handbook by Mary Moore. Chicago: ALA, 2004. ? Technology for Results: Developing Service-Based Plans by Diane Mayo. Chicago: PLA, 2005.
- Akin, Lynn. "Marketing Principles, Guaranteed." Public Libraries, (November/December 2001): 350-353.
- Clover, David. "Committing to Customer Service: Development of a Service Charter at The Open Polytechnic Library." New Zealand Libraries, 48, no. 12 (December 1997): 239-243. [See Student Library Service Charter Web page below for copy of the student charter.]
- Cook, Colleen and Fred M. Heath. "User's Perceptions of Library Service Quality: A LibQUAL+ Qualitative Study." Library Trends, 49, no.4 (Spring 2001): 548584.
- Cronin, Blaise. "Customer Satisfaction." Library Journal, (October 15, 2000): 44.
- Diamond, Randy and Martha Dragich. "Professionalism In Librarianship: Shifting the Focus from Malpractice to Good Practice." Library Trends, 49, no. 3 (Winter 2001): 395-114.
- Hennen, Thomas J. "Why We Should Establish a National System of Standards." American Libraries, 31, no. 3 (March 2000): 43-45.
- Hernon, Peter and Danuta A. Nitecki. "Service Quality: A Concept Not Fully Explored." Library Trends, 49, no. 4 (Spring 2001): 687-708.
- Kasowitz, Abby, Blythe Bennett and R. David Lankes. "Quality Standards for Digital Reference Consortia." Reference & User Services Quarterly, 39, no. 4 (Summer 2000): 355-368.
- Poll, Roswitha. "Performance, Processes, and Costs: Managing Service Quality with the Service Scorecard." Library Trends, 49, no. 4 (Spring 2001): 709-719.
- Sullivan, Michael. "One Happy Library User." Public Libraries, (September/October 2001): 264.
- Winkworth, Ian. Innovative United Kingdom Approaches to Measuring Service Quality." Library Trends, 49, no. 4 (Spring 2001): 718-731.
Quality Measures in Other States
Many fine ideas, checklists, bibliographies, can be found in the guidelines created by other states and groups.
- Colorado Public Library Standards. Denver, CO: Colorado State Library and Adult Education Office, 2011.
- In Service to Iowa: Public Library Measures of Quality. State Library Standards Committee, State Library of Iowa. Des Moines, IA: State Library of Iowa, 2010.
- Minimum Standards for Rhode Island Public Libraries. Rhode Island Office of Library and Information Services, 2013.
- Planning for Library Excellence: Standards and Guidelines for Virginia Public Libraries. Compiled by Nelson Worley. Richmond, VA: Library of Virginia, 2000.
- Serving Our Public 2.0: Standards for Illinois Public Libraries. Standards Review Committee, Public Library Management Forum, Illinois Library Association. Chicago: Illinois Library Association, 2009.
- Standards for Kansas Public Libraries. Topeka, KS: Kansas State Library, 2020.
- Standards for Public Library Service in Ohio. Columbus, OH: Ohio Library Council, 2010.
- Wisconsin Public Library Standards. Madison, WI: Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, 2010.
- The American Customer Satisfaction Index: the Voice of the Nation's Consumer. ACSI. www.theacsi.org/
- ISO 9000 2000 Principles in Plain English. Praxiom Research Group Limited.www.praxiom.com/principles.htm
- ISO in Brief. International Organization for Standardization