This LSTA grant program is designed to support public library programming in the areas of literacy, children and teens, and/or technology. In a given fiscal year, the Library of Michigan will fund as many grants as possible that meet these priorities.
2021 Public Library Services Grant program
LM is pleased to announce the 2021 Public Library Services Grant grant awards. Congratulations to the selected grantees. 139 public libraries have received grants to purchase supplies and materials for increased programming opportunities in their communities this year in the areas of technology, children or teen programs, or literacy support and range from $500 to $2,500. The total funds awarded are $260,703.
Public Library Services Grant Program Guidelines
This summer quick grant provides Michigan public libraries the opportunity to purchase supplies and materials for a specific program that will happen over the summer. Applications must be for a program that fits at least one of the topics and one of the LSTA priorities listed below. Requested supplies and materials must be for the program described in the application.
2021 Program Topics:
- Literacy Programs - This topic area is for the broad idea of literacy programs, such as ESL, early literacy, financial literacy, health literacy, digital literacy, etc.
- Children & Teen Programs - This topic area is for programs where the primary audience is children or teens, and can include a range of programming areas such as art, STEAM, gaming, summer reading, etc.
- Technology Programs - This topic area is for programs that improve community access to technology, such as digital inclusion, assistive technologies for disabled patrons, etc. Libraries requesting Internet capable devices must comply with CIPA regulations.
- Programs or services to individuals of diverse geographic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- Programs or services to individuals with disabilities, to individuals with limited functional literacy or information skills; or
- Programs or services expanding services for learning and access to information.
- Need a program idea? See SAMPLE Programs or the list from the 2019 Public Library Services grants.
- Want to see an application? See a SAMPLE Application.
- Need to see how to do the final report? See a SAMPLE Report.
Thank you to our libraries for sharing their ideas!
The grant period is May to August annually, if funds are available. Funding is from $500 to $2,500 per grant. The Library of Michigan will fund as many projects as possible that meet the grant criteria. Funds are distributed by reimbursement ONLY after the grant purchasing is complete.
- Application Available - January 2021
- Application Due - March 3, 2021 - 5:00 PM EST
- Grants Awarded - April - May 2021
- Grant Period - May through August 2021
APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY: Michigan public libraries that are legally established and eligible for state aid at the time of application. Libraries are eligible to submit one application per location. See the application information packet for more information. Small and rural libraries or libraries that have not received a grant in the last year will be given priority.
APPLICATION & ADMINISTRATION WEBINARS
Public Library Services Grant Program - How to Apply
- Thursday, February 11th - 2:00 PM - RECORDING
How to Manage Your Public Library Services grant
- Thursday, May 6th - 2:00 PM - RECORDING
Webinars will be recorded and the recording link will be sent to everyone who is registered.
Tech Ban for Federal Funds - Grantees may not purchase telecommunications or video surveillance equipment or services from companies with an Exclusion in their SAM.gov record. Please check SAM.gov when purchasing technology equipment to confirm the company you want to purchase from is not a banned company.