MiSAIL Program Overview
Since 2004, the State Of Michigan has been working to acquire high resolution digital aerial photography to assist in the geo-spatial data needs of State employees and to provide high quality images as a backdrop for State Of Michigan internet mapping applications.
MiSAIL, building on 11 successful years as the State of Michigan's imagery program, has entered into contracts with Atlantic Group, LLC.
With these contracts, the State intends to accomplish the following goals:
- Offer consistent high resolution statewide digital aerial photography and LiDAR acquisition services and products.
- Add to the SOM Repository of high resolution statewide digital aerial photography acquired during the period of 2004-2020.
- Create an avenue for State, Local, and Federal government entities to acquire high quality imagery and LiDAR data.
- New in 2016 - aerial photography partners will have access to a State of Michigan managed imagery viewing service.
- Implement a regional imagery acquisition approach. Though the MiSAIL program is available for data acquisition based on partner schedules, a regional imagery acquisition plan is now in place as well to complement the timing of partner imagery requirements. MiSAIL Regional Imagery Acquision Planning Map
Access to good digital aerial photography has created a demand for more data at better resolution collected in a timely manner. This next generation digital aerial photography program is a major step toward reaching SOM goals. The SOM's intent is to acquire digital aerial photography for approximately 20% of the State each year over the next 5 years. It is also the SOM's intent to extend the services and pricing established by this contract to State Partners, which may include, but not be limited to, Local and Federal Government entities.