- LM Continuing Education Opportunities
Find upcoming training opportunities from LM for Michigan library staff and trustees, including live PCI Webinar content, viewable by date or month with links to registration.
- United for Libraries
United for Libraries is the American Library Association (ALA) division supporting library trustees, friends, foundations, and advocates. Members of the Michigan library community are provided with membership courtesy of the Library of Michigan. To create your own account, visit the site and follow the path for "Statewide Access-Find Your State" to use the member resources. This project is made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- WebJunction Self-Paced Courses and Webinars
WebJunction provides online training on a variety of library-related topics. Certificates of completion of provided with self-paced courses and webinar archives are available. This project was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Free Library Related Webinars
A monthly listing of dozens of free, online sessions on a variety of libray-related topics that can support the increase of your knowledge, skills and abilities to help move your library forward and connect with your community.
- Library of Michigan Webinar Archives
We've archived webinars provided by Library of Michigan staff on a variety of topics. These are available to you 24/7 for your convenience. Check back often for updates.
Regularly Scheduled LM CE
- Loleta Fyan Small and Rural Libraries Conference
A biennial 3-day conference aimed toward Michigan small and rural library staff. SRLC offers small and rural library staff with the opportunity to experience top notch keynote presenters and authors in addition to ten tracks of attendee-driven sessions. The Library of Michigan Foundation generously supports the conference through administration of Loleta Fyan funds and is made possible in part by funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Beginning Workshop
This event is being transformed into an online, self-paced course for library staff without a Master's degree in Library Science. Beginning Workshop is a requirement to obtain Level 3 or Level 4 Library of Michigan library staff certification. If completion of this even by staff is necessary for a library to receive State Aid for FY21 the library will be provided with a waiver. The course is supported with funds from the Library of Michigan Foundation and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- New Director Workshop - Pathway for New Directors in Michigan Public Libraries
Completion of the self-paced, online course is necessary for director certification as part of the qualification criteria for State Aid to Public Libraries. The New Director Workshop is made possible in part with funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Advanced Director Workshop - Pathway for Advanced Directors in Michigan Public Libraries
Completion of the self-paced, online course is open to all library directors but is necessary for director certification for those administering Class 4, 5 and 6 libraries as part of the qualification criteria for State Aid to Public Libraries. The Advanced Director Workshop is made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Public Library Training Cohorts
- Public Library Financial Management Cohort
This public library training cohort is aimed at staff interested in improving their financial skills. LM is working with the University of Georgia's Carl Vinson Institute of Government to provide a 12-month public library financial management certificate program for a cohort of 30 Michigan public library staff members.
- Next-Level Leadership for Small and Rural Libraries
This public library training cohort is aimed at staff interested learning leadership skills. LM is working with the University of Michigan School of Information for a second round of leadership training. The second round is an 11-month cohort of library leaders from Classes I-IV public libraries in Michigan. We work together to build our networks, sharpen our management and leadership skills, and strengthen the roles of our institutions in our communities. Participation is currently closed, but you can view the previous cohort's conference materials at the cohort site.
Library Continuing Education Program
- Library Continuing Education Stipend Program
The Library of Michigan strives to support libraries’ efforts to provide quality services and programming to their communities. A major element of excellent service is empowering library staff to learn and implement new skills and best practices. The Library Continuing Education Stipend program helps by providing financial support for library staff continuing education.
Online Education (National)
- Colorado State Library - Library Creation and Learning Centers
Tech Training materials for library staff and patrons.
- eLearning Soft Skills
14 eLearning modules on lifelong soft skills providing basic and foundational skills for the workplace to help workers succeed in the 21st century
- Idaho Commission for Libraries - Able Program
The Alternative Basic Library Education (ABLE) Program is designed to help library staff members who have no formal education in library science to acquire the basic knowledge and skills needed to operate or work in a library through general classes.
- Idaho Commission for Libraries - Sable Program
The Supplemental Alternative Basic Library Education (SABLE) Program is designed to help library staff members who have no formal education in library science to acquire the basic knowledge and skills needed to operate or work in a library through more specific classes.
- InfoPeople Webinars & Online Courses
Infopeople is part of the Califa Group, a nonprofit consortium of more than 230 libraries committed to unleashing the impact of libraries. Infopeople provides library staff quality continuing education opportunities that are tailored to library needs and developed by experienced library professionals. Training formats include 2-6 week asynchronous online courses, as well as free one-hour webinars. InfoPeople offers a limited number of scholoarships for their online courses to ARSL members.
- Public Library Director 101 Series
Provides an introduction to the many and unique facets of public library directorship. This series of four on-demand recordings provides a broad overview that both informs and inspires.
- UW-Madison School of Library & Information Studies - Online Continuing Education Courses
Each academic term, the UW-Madison SLIS is offering a selection of moderated online courses for a fee on library continuing education topics.
- Michigan Academic Library Association
- Lakeland Library Cooperative
- Michigan Association for Media in Education
- Michigan eLibrary (MeL) Training
- Michigan Library Association
- Midwest Collaborative for Library Services
- Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative
- Mid-Michigan Library League
- Northland Library Cooperative
- Suburban Library Cooperative
- Superiorland Library Cooperative
- The Library Network
- White Pine Library Cooperative
- Woodlands Library Cooperative
- ALA Directory of Accredited LIS Master's Programs
- ALA Library Support Staff Resource Center
- American Library Association - Events and Conferences
- American Library Association Continuing Education Information
- Public Library Association Continuing Education Information
- Special Library Association Calendar of Events