Skip to main content

Radon Testers and Mitigators

House with external radon mitigation system.
Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy

Radon Testers and Mitigators

Radon testers and mitigators (radon reduction contractors) are not licensed or regulated in Michigan. However, there are two national organizations that offer radon measurement and mitigation certification, and if you choose to hire a professional to assist you, you are encouraged to hire a certified individual.

The two national organizations are the National Radon Proficiency Program (NRPP) and the National Radon Safety Board (NRSB). The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) Indoor Radon Program or your local health department can provide you with lists of measurement and mitigation service providers certified by these organizations, or you can visit the organization websites for the most complete and up-to-date information:


Les Smith
800-723-6642 (800-RADONGAS)

Find a radon test kit

EGLE has no regulatory authority over radon testers or mitigators and does not conduct audits or inspect their work. This presents a "Buyer Beware" situation. As with any other home improvement, you are encouraged to choose a radon contractor with care. Get more than one estimate, ask for references, and compare proposals, not only with each other, but also with the existing standards or guidelines. (Choosing an individual certified by NRPP or the NRSB helps assure that the person is trained and knowledgeable, but you should dig deeper to ensure that you have the right person for the job.)

For more information about radon measurement and radon mitigation standards for every building type, please visit the American Association of Radon Scientist and Technologist's web site.

Want to become a tester or mitigator?

If you are interested in becoming a professional tester or mitigator, information about training and/or certification can be obtained at the NRPP or NRSB websites, and at the Kansas State University's Radon Course website.

As noted above, Michigan currently does not license or otherwise regulate radon testers or mitigators, but many of your clients will be interested in whether or not you are certified. Sometimes those added credentials can make a difference as to whether you get hired for the job or one of your competitors is chosen instead.

Also, please keep in mind that several of our neighboring states (and many other states across the country) do have some form of regulatory authority over testers and mitigators. If you plan on doing business in another state, check the National Radon Program Services state radon contacts web page to find out if there are any rules or regulations pertaining to your profession.