Skip to main content

Spill and Release Reporting

Chemical releases in Michigan are potentially reportable under one or more of twenty-six different state and federal regulations. Determining which regulations apply to a specific release can be an overwhelming task. The "Release Notification Requirements in Michigan" document was compiled to help owners and operators of facilities in Michigan, including vehicles and farms, determine their potential notification and reporting requirements in the event of a chemical release. Check your permits, licenses, registrations, pollution prevention plans, and local ordinances for additional release reporting requirements.

Report environmental Emergencies to the 24-hour Pollution Emergency Alerting System (PEAS) Hotline at 800-292-4706.  During daytime hours, you may also contact the appropriate district office directly.

NOTE:  Many incidents that are reportable to EGLE also warrant reporting to the federal National Response Center which serves the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Coast Guard: Federal NRC hotline:  800-424-8802

If your matter is not an emergency but you just have a question or are seeking information about EGLE programs, regulations, reporting requirements, reportable quantities, etc. please call our EGLE Environmental Assistance Center:  800-662-9278.