Skip to main content
Labor and Economic Opportunity

Information needed to file a claim

When Should I File A Claim?

A claim for unemployment benefits begins the week it is filed.  Therefore, you should file your claim during your first week of unemployment. 

Information Needed to File A Claim:

  • Your social security number,
  • Your state issued driver’s license or ID card number or your MARVIN PIN (if you have one),
  • The names and addresses of employers you worked for during the past 18 months along with your quarterly gross earnings,
  • The last date of employment with each employer.
  • Your most recent employer’s Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) account number or Federal ID number (especially if you have not filed a claim within the last three years or have been employed for less than six months). Depending on your situation, knowing the account number may speed up the processing of your claim (UIA Administrative Rule 421.204(3)(a) requires the employer’s UIA account number be given to employees. The employer’s Federal ID number appears on your annual W-2 form).
  • If you are not a U.S. citizen or national, you will need your Alien Registration number and the expiration date of your work authorization.

Options to File: