The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
The Michigan Department Labor and Economic Opportunity is the department that contains the agencies of Michigan State Housing Development Authority, State Land Bank Authority, Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Unemployment Insurance Agency, Bureau of Employment Relations, Workers' Disability Compensation Agency, Employment and Training Division and Prosperity Division. Each of these bodies of government have their own FOIA Coordinator to which requests may be submitted using the form below.
Michigan's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), MCL 15.231 et seq, allows certain persons to receive copies or make inspections of most public records of public bodies upon written request. The person must sufficiently describe the records he or she seeks.
A fee may be charged to cover the cost of complying with a FOIA request.
FOIA requests must include all the following information:
- Individual (other than one who claims indigence)
- Complete name
- Address - Must be written in compliance with United States Postal Service addressing standards.
- Contact information - Must include a valid telephone number and/or email address.
- Person (other than individual)
- Complete name of person's agent
- Address of person's agent - Must be written in compliance with United States Postal Service addressing standards.
- Contact information of person's agent - Must include a valid telephone number and/or email address.
If a good faith deposit is required, it must be paid within 45 days, or the request is considered abandoned.
Our Commitment to Transparency
Our department is committed to helping members of the public seeking a public record from the department or agency in navigating the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act or other law applicable to public records. The Transparency liaison will advocate for the disclosure of public records in a quick and cost-efficient manner.