The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration encourages all road users, including motorists and bicyclists, to respect each other and foster a safer transportation environment. Bicycles on the roadway have the same rights, and responsibilities as motorized vehicles.
Safety Tips for Bicyclists:
- Always ride with traffic and follow the rules of the road.
- Do not ride on the sidewalk.
- Ride on the trail, paved shoulder, bike lane, or bike route.
- Make it easy for drivers to see you by dressing in bright colors and wearing reflective material both in front and back.
- Watch for debris that might make you fall or swerve.
- Watch for turning traffic.
- Wear appropriate high visibility safety gear, including helmet.