Skip to main content

Regulatory & Credentialing Section

The Regulatory and Credentialing Section of the Michigan State Police, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (MSP/CVED) issues intrastate operating authority to for-hire motor carriers and administers the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program for interstate motor carriers in accordance with the UCR Act and the UCR Agreement.

Intrastate Operating Authority

The Motor Carrier Act, Public Act 254 of 1933, requires all intrastate for-hire carriers to obtain intrastate operating authority, or CVED Authority, prior to operating a vehicle on any public roadway in Michigan.

How do I apply for CVED Authority?

All applications for CVED Authority must be submitted online through the Intrastate Carriers Authority Registration System (ICARS).

  • Visit, and select "Register for an Account" on the right side of the screen
  • Follow the prompts to create an user ID and password
  • Login to your newly created account and click on "MSP-CVED" near the upper left side of the screen, beside the "Home" button
  • Proceed through each page of the application and submit the $100 application fee

A staff member will review your application and follow up via email if additional information or action is needed.  Please note, if you are an intrastate only carrier, a household goods carrier, or a wrecker service conducting police-initiated tows, you are required to purchase decals and renew your CVED Authority annually.  Decal fees will be assessed during the application review process.  Applications take approximately 30 days to process.

What is required for approval of my application?

Intrastate Only Carriers and Wrecker Companies Conducting Police Initiated Tows (Non-consensual Tows)

  • Valid application for a USDOT number, also referred to as an MCS-150
  • Business filings with the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) or local county clerk
  • Proof of workers' compensation insurance or an approved exclusion form from the Workers' Compensation Agency
  • Certificate of Liability and a Form E from your insurance company
  • All processing and decal fees paid

Moving Companies (Carriers of Household Goods)

In addition to the items listed above, the following are requirements for household goods carriers:

  • Form H from your insurance company
  • A copy of any continuous contracts
  • Tariff membership if traveling more than 40 miles and not operating under a continuous contract

Interstate Carriers

Am I required to renew my CVED Authority?

The following carriers are required to renew their CVED Authority annually:

  • All carriers operating only intrastate
  • All carriers of household goods, both inter and intrastate
  • All wrecker companies conducting police-initiated tows, both inter and intrastate

Interstate carriers transporting only general commodities are NOT required to renew if they maintain an active MC number and stay current on UCR fees.

The renewal period takes place each year from October 1 - December 1.  Notices are mailed to carriers in the fall with instructions for renewal.  Failure to renew by January 1st will result in revocation of your CVED Authority.

Carriers with Active CVED Authority

To search for companies with active CVED Authority, visit and select "Advanced Search" from the upper left side of the screen.


Please contact the Regulatory and Credentialing Section:

Phone:  517-284-3250, option 4, and then option 1