The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
The Michigan State Police, Emergency Management and Homeland Security Division (MSP/EMHSD) provides hazardous materials (Hazmat) training and planning assistance to local communities throughout the state of Michigan.
The MSP/EMHSD, through its Emergency Management and Homeland Security Training Center (EMHSTC), firmly believes that our primary mission is to raise the professional standing of the field of hazardous materials planning, mitigation, and response by providing leadership and coordination through instructional programs and other skill enhancement opportunities.
For more information about Hazmat training opportunities, visit the MSP/EMHSD's training and exercise website.
Planning for response to accidental hazardous materials spills or releases is handled at the local level by Local Emergency Planning Committees (LEPCs) and fire departments. Hazmat planning assistance is provided to these and other local organizations through the MSP/EMHSD.
- Hazardous Materials Emergency Planning in Your Community (PDF)
- SARA Title III Submittal Procedures (PDF)
- SARA Title III Emergency Response Plan Submittal Sheet (DOC)
- Guidance for Community Hazmat Response Plans (PDF)
- Guidance for Community Hazmat Response Plans (DOC)
- Plan Review List Form (DOC)
- Emergency Management Publications
- LEPC Handbook
- LEPCs Officer Member Record Instructions (DOC)
- LEPCs Officer Member Record (DOC)
- Emergency/Hazmat Planning for the Farm (PDF)
- Comprehensive SARA Title III Community Response plan Template
Sara Title III Emergency Planning
SARA Title III requires that communities develop emergency response plans to address the accidental release of an extremely hazardous substance (EHS) from a site within the community. The Governor has assigned the task of assisting local communities in developing their plans to the MSP/EMHSD.
Emergency Planning for Michigan Communities LEPC and Fire Departments Video
Other Links to Hazardous Materials Emergency Planning Information
- Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy
- EGLE Sara Title III Information
- EGLE Hazardous Chemical Reporting
- EGLE Emergency Planning
- EGLE Spill Release Reporting
- EGLE Toxic Chemical Release Inventory
- Tier II Manager for LEPCs
- Tier II Manager User Manual for Planners and Program Users
- Instructions for LEPCs to Manage Farms in Tier II Manager
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Computer Aided Management of Emergency Operations (CAMEO)
- EPA Emergency Response
- National Association of SARA Title III Program Officials (NASTTPO)
- U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
- U.S. Chemical Safety Board (CSB)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Chemical Security Information