The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
The Bomb Squad consists of 15 members assigned to seven regional teams. These teams respond statewide to suspected explosive devices and Weapon of Mass Destruction (WMD) incidents. Squad members are "Certified Bomb Technicians" and "HAZMAT" Technician Level trained. The squad is an integral part of the Michigan Regional Response Team Network (RRTN) which was established to provide quick response capability in every region of the state to WMD/Terrorism incidents. Each team is equipped with specialized bomb squad and hazmat equipment including bomb suits, x-ray equipment, a robot, and an explosive containment transport vessel. The Bomb Squad responds to approximately 500 calls for service each year.
Major services include:
- Investigation of suspicious packages
- Render safe operations performed on explosive devices
- Disposal of found explosive materials
- Collection and preservation of evidence at bombing scenes
- Post blast crime scene investigations
- Dignitary protection
- Training programs on bomb threat awareness, safety, and explosive device identification
- Technical support to special operations