Given the situation regarding COVID-19, the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) Water Resources Division (WRD) has suspended all in-person training/exam sessions for Industrial Stormwater Certification and Renewal until at least October 1, 2020. WRD has made the following online certification and recertification options available until in-person training sessions resume.
If your certification expired on July 1, 2020, and you did not submit a renewal form, you are no longer a certified operator and need to retake the exam in order to become certified. If you have any questions about this process or your previous certification, please contact Alyssa Sarver at SarverA@Michigan.gov or 517-881-1371.
to become a Certified Industrial Storm Water Operator
All facilities that require industrial storm water permit coverage must have an Industrial Storm Water (ISW) Certified Operator. To obtain a certification, operators must complete the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) training and exam.
Until in-person training and exam sessions resume, an application form that includes online, self-study materials and an exam is available for who wish to become an Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator. To apply for a certification, submit a complete application/exam form to EGLE WRD (instructions on form) along with the $30 certification fee. If you submit a complete application, pass the exam with at least a 70%, and pay the $30 certification fee, you will be issued a certification that is valid for 5 years.
EGLE WRD has created a training manual to inform permittees and Industrial Storm Water Certified Operators of the program and permit obligations. The training manual in a necessary tool utilized as part of the online Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator trainings discussed above.
A list of current Industrial Storm Water Certified Operators is maintained by the Wastewater Operator Certification Program staff.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: How do I register to become an Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator?
- To become an Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator, you will need to attend one of the EGLE WRD industrial certified operator training/exam sessions conducted at the District Offices. Payment for the training must be made within 90 days of the exam date. Please be advised that the payment for the training and exams is non-refundable.
Q: Who can register for Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator Training/Exam session?
- Anyone who wants to obtain an Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator Certification.
Q: How do I receive announcements about upcoming trainings?
- Please visit our webpage at www.michigan.gov/IndustrialStormWater. Scroll down to Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator Training Options and Information.
Q: How much is the Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator certification fee?
- The Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator certification fee is $30, which is payable to the State of Michigan.
Q: How much is the Industrial Storm Water Recertification fee?
- The Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator recertification fee is $95, payable to the State of Michigan.
Q: When will I receive my exam results?
- Once the State of Michigan receives payment, we will mail your results. Typically, results are mailed to your home address two to four weeks after payment is received. Contact Alyssa Sarver at firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-881-1371 if you have questions about your certificate or exam results.
Q: Will I get any documentation from EGLE when I renew my certification?
- Yes, a letter will be sent with the Certified Operator ID and a new expiration date.
Q: If I do not receive a certification, do I have to take the course and exam again?
- Yes, if you do not pass the certification exam, you will need to retake the course and exam.
Q: Where can I find a copy of the Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator Training Manual?
- A copy of the Certified Operator Training Manual can be found on the Industrial Storm Water website at www.michigan.gov/IndustrialStormWater. Please scroll down to Industrial Storm Water Certified Operator Training Options and Information.