The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Clean Water Ambassadors
Clean Water Ambassadors
Community residents throughout Michigan, who are at least 18 years of age, are encouraged to serve as Clean Water Ambassadors. As an ambassador, you can share your opinion and stay connected to drinking water related efforts in Michigan.
The Clean Water Ambassador Initiative is a statewide effort designed to improve education and communication concerning water quality in Michigan. Clean Water Ambassadors play an important role in spreading information about drinking water in their community and ensuring that drinking water programs and resources are accessible and effective.
How do Clean Water Ambassadors help?Clean Water Ambassadors help by:
- Providing valuable feedback on education and outreach materials to help improve accessibility and effectiveness.
- Spreading the word through social media and other channels about water quality information and resources available to other Michigan residents.
- Sharing perspectives and concerns about drinking water quality and outreach efforts within their communities.
- Supporting new legislation that will help improve drinking water quality in Michigan by reaching out to their local elected officials.
Over 180 Michigan residents have signed up to be a Clean Water Ambassadors, bringing their diverse backgrounds and lived experiences to ensure that our water efforts are inclusive and accessible to Michigan residents.
What do Clean Water Ambassadors do?
Clean Water Ambassadors are invited to attend monthly meetings, share information via social media or other channels, and learn about drinking water issues. Ambassadors are also kept up to date on emerging legislation, conferences, and water infrastructure funding opportunities.
How much time do Clean Water Ambassadors devote?
The amount of time you devote is completely up to you. Ambassadors meet virtually once a month with the Office of the Clean Water Public Advocate, and follow-up emails are sent out if you are unable to attend. There may also be opportunities to provide feedback on programs or materials, volunteer in communities, or support legislation. Clean Water Ambassadors are also welcomed to connect with each other outside of our regularly scheduled meetings.
Do I need any specific skills or experience to be a Clean Water Ambassador?
No, we welcome Michigan residents with all backgrounds! Some of our ambassadors have spent a large portion of their career in drinking water and many come in with very little knowledge and background on drinking water related issues. Having ambassadors with diverse backgrounds and lived experiences is vital in helping us effectively reach all Michigan residents.
What will I gain from being a Clean Water Ambassador?
Being a Clean Water Ambassador gives you the opportunity to:
- Be knowledgeable about drinking water issues and what to consider in your drinking water
- Gain experience in community engagement, advocacy, and outreach
- Give back to Michigan communities by helping to inform and improving drinking water quality
- Share opinions and concerns about you and your community’s drinking water
How do I become a Clean Water Ambassador?
Signing up is easy! Answer a few questions about yourself and then we will send you some materials to get started.
Clean Water Ambassador Code of Conduct
Clean Water Ambassadors recognize the following principles:
- The importance of inclusiveness and respect in discussions and interactions with others. Ambassadors strive to reflect these attributes during meetings and in the sharing of educational and outreach materials provided by the state in their communities and online.
- Insensitive, offensive, or violent language is not tolerated.
- Maintain and respect the confidentiality of other ambassadors.
Clean Water Ambassadors usually meet (virtually via Microsoft Teams) on the last Thursday of each month at 6 pm. To join, please sign up to become an ambassador and you will receive more details.