Skip to main content

Common Solid Waste Violations

The following violations index is organized into categories of common solid waste violations. The violation categories are not listed in order of severity or frequency of findings. Click on the category to access the list of violations commonly found. These violations have been identified during solid waste inspections by the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE), Materials Management Division (MMD) staff. This is not a comprehensive list of all the requirements staff evaluate while conducting inspections.

Click on highlighted text to access guidance documents on a particular subject or link to another internet site. If you are looking for specific information about a facility's compliance history, contact the MMD District Office that oversees the area where the facility is located. If you are looking for environmental information about a facility or area, you may want to visit the site Envirofacts Data Warehouse to access various US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) databases.

There are many sources of information available in regard to solid waste disposal. For example, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has publications discussing options for communities dealing with illegal solid waste dumping. The state solid waste regulations can be downloaded or purchased from the MMD.  Many state rules adopt federal requirements. The federal waste regulations can be downloaded or purchased from the US Government Printing Office by calling 202-512-1800. Additional resource links are included under the various violations.

The links to other web sites have been provided as an aid to assist users in locating additional information on these regulatory topics. Web sites and regulations are subject to change that may make these links outdated. Michigan's requirements may also be more stringent than federal regulations. Reliance on information from this site is not usable as a defense in any enforcement action or litigation. If you have questions, review the regulations or discuss your specific requirements with MMD district staff. If you are unsure about whom to contact, call the Environmental Assistance Center at 800-662-9278 for referral.