Skip to main content

Spills and Release Reporting

a warning light among green bushes
Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy

Spills and Release Reporting

Report environmental emergencies to the Pollution Emergency Alerting System (PEAS) Hotline at 800-292-4706.

  • The Department of Health and Human Service has resources online to help residents, schools, businesses, and responders address mercury spills. See and contact the DHHS hotline at 1-800-648-6942 or your local health department with questions.

  • Secondary containment is a good idea for storing any liquids that may be problematic to the environment. To learn when it is specifically required under EGLE's regulations, see our Secondary Containment Guidance.

  • See the Emergency Planning FAQ to learn about who is required to have emergency response plans. In addition to emergency plans required under the rules, some emergency response plans are required by EGLE permits. If an environmental emergency occurs, there are emergency reporting requirements too. See the Spill and Release Reporting Website to learn more.