Skip to main content

Land and Water Interface Project Permitting

  • EGLE has developed the Does My Project Need a Permit guidance document to help determine if you need an EGLE permit for your project. If you do, a Joint Permit Application will need to be submitted through the MiEnviro online permit application site. You can visit the EGLE/USAOE Joint Permit Application webpage for more information on applying for a permit.

  • EGLE has a guidance document to help you identify what fees may apply and the various project categories.

  • The EGLE/USACE Joint Permit Application (JPA) covers permit requirements derived from state and federal rules and regulations for construction activities where the land meets the water. This JPA prevents duplication of state and federal permitting and provides simultaneous review for activities on or for: Wetlands, Floodplains, Dams, Inland Lakes and Streams, Great Lakes Bottomlands, Critical Dunes, Environmental Areas, and High Risk Erosion Areas. See Applicable Regulations page for more details on the related laws and rules.

    The applicant must submit the JPA through MiEnviro, our online permitting site. Instructions on how to fill out the JPA form online can be found here. Online payment of permit application fees is also submitted through MiEnviro. The status of applications ;as well as current Public Notice and Hearing Notices can be searched and viewed in MiEnviro.

    Save time and Money - Request a Pre-Application Meeting with Permitting Staff.

  • EGLE has Land and Water Interface staff assigned to each geographic area of the state who can be contacted with questions. However, you may want to hire an environmental consultant to assist you with your project. EGLE maintains a directory of environmental consultants as a service to Michigan business and residents.