Skip to main content

Water Withdrawals

  • A Water Withdrawal Permit is required prior to beginning a new or increased withdrawal that will have:

    • more than 2,000,000 gallons per day (or 1,388 gallons per minute) withdrawal capacity
    • OR will transfer more than 100,000 gallons per day, averaged over any 90-day period, from the watershed of one Great Lake to the watershed of another Great Lake.

    Exceptions - these withdrawals aren't required to obtain a Water Withdrawal Permit:

    • community water supplies - contact your Community Water Supply Program district engineer instead
    • bottled water production - review the Bottled Water Source Approval requirements instead
    • seasonal withdrawals - active for no more than 6 months per year AND average less than 2,000,000 GPD water use in any 90-day period within their season of operation
    • temporary withdrawals - short term withdrawals that total less than 180,000,000 gallons water use for the entire withdrawal period.

    A Water Withdrawal Registration is required for a new or increased withdrawal less than or equal to 2,000,000 GPD (1,388 GPM) but greater than 100,000 GPD (or 70 GPM) in withdrawal capacity.

    Water Withdrawal Permit Application - all information on this application form, and a $2000 application fee is required. Please call 517-599-3792 or email prior to submitting a Water Withdrawal Permit application.

  • Registration of all large quantity water withdrawals is required in the State of Michigan. Large quantity withdrawals are defined as having the capacity to withdraw 100,000 gallons per day or more. That equates to a pump capacity of 70 gallons per minute or more and includes the combined total for all pumps on the property.

    Owners of prospective new or increased large quantity withdrawals are required to register with EGLE prior to beginning a withdrawal by using the online Water Withdrawal Assessment Tool. The Water Withdrawal Assessment Tool is a screening system that predicts whether a large quantity withdrawal is likely to cause an adverse resource impact to nearby streams or rivers. If the withdrawal passes the Water Withdrawal Assessment Tool screening system, it can be registered immediately and the registration receipt is EGLE authorization to make the withdrawal. If the proposed withdrawal doesn't pass the Water Withdrawal Assessment Tool, a site-specific review can be requested to pursue registration with the EGLE.

    The property owner also has the option to submit an alternative analysis instead of a EGLE site-specific review.

    Owners proposing new or increased withdrawals greater than 2,000,000 gallons per day must apply for a water withdrawal permit. Click this link for the water withdrawal permit application.

  • You can find additional information at or by reviewing EGLE's information guide on new large quantity withdrawals.