Hazard Communication / GHS Training
The OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (HCS) is now aligned with the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS). This update to the Hazard Communication Standard (HCS) will provide a common and coherent approach to classifying chemicals and communicating hazard information on labels and safety data sheets. The revised MIOSHA Part 42, 92, & 430 Hazard Communication standard will improve the quality and consistency of hazard information in the workplace, making it safer for workers by providing easily understandable information on appropriate handling and safe use of hazardous chemicals. This update will also help reduce trade barriers and result in productivity improvements for American businesses that regularly handle, store, and use hazardous chemicals while providing cost savings for American businesses that periodically update safety data sheets and labels for chemicals covered under the hazard communication standard. MIOSHA has developed a handout summarizing the major changes to the Hazard Communication Standard. Use the links below to access the MIOSHA Hazard Communication handout and OSHA's Hazard Communication tools and information.
Hazard Communication Employee Training Options - Use one of these to meet the 12/01/13 training deadline in the revised standard.
- Hazard Communication Employee Training Program 2013 - PPT modifiable version with speaker notes
- (Recorded webinar version of Hazard Communication Employee Training presentation)
- NEW! Hazard Communication Employee Training - Narrated PowerPoint Modules
NOTE: This Hazard Communication Employee Training program has been divided into three modules for use as "toolbox" talks and to reduce download file size. The modules are best viewed using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. If the narrated presentation of the module does not automatically start the slide show, select the slide show button in the lower right of the PowerPoint program to automate the program.
Module 1: Overview and Classification - 10 mins - (Recorded voice over PowerPoint)
Module 2: Labels - 14 mins - (Recorded voice over PowerPoint)
Module 3: Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) - 13 mins - (Recorded voice over PowerPoint)
- LESS DVD/Video Lending Library currently has two DVD's on GHS that you can request on loan: GHS Globalize Your Communication #1072 & HazCom And The Global Harmonizing System: Employee Training #1068
- Hazard Communication Sample Plan (CET-5530) (pdf / doc)
- Hazard Communication - Aligning with the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS) (CET-5531)
- MIOSHA Standards Affected by the New GHS/Hazard Communication Standard (CET-5532)
- MIOSHA Regulated Area Signs Affected by the New GHS/Hazard Communication Standard (CET-5533)
- Revised 2012 Hazard Communication Standard FAQ's (CET-0186)
- Right To Know Hazard Communication Compliance Guide (SP-22)
- Safety Data Sheet (SDS) Location Poster (CET-2105)
- New/Revised Safety Data Sheet (SDS) Poster (CET-2106)