Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO)Contact: Megan McMahon 517-230-3442
Provided below are links to Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation permit related information. The downloadable documents are available in PDF format.
This page can be accessed as www.mi.gov/cafo.
CAFO General Permit
- No Potential to Discharge Information/Application
- CNMP Guidance Template (2015)
- CNMP Appendices Template (2015)
- How to Apply for an NPDES Permit
- CAFO Rules
- CAFO Technical Standards
- NRCS Waste Storage Facility Practice Standard No. 313 (2014)
New MiWaters Permitting System & Training
- Upon implementation of MiWaters, paper applications for NPDES and groundwater permits will no longer be accepted.
- Please see the MiWaters page for additional information.
CAFO Guidance Documents
- Guidance for fulfilling compliance with Part 22
- Guidance #1: Depth Gauge, 2-2008
- Guidance #2: Manifesting, 3-2008
- Manure Sampling for Nutrient Analysis
- Sampling Soils for Fertilizers and Lime Recommendations
- Nutrient Recommendations for Crops
- Determining Precipitation Forecasts for CAFO Permits
- Synthetic Structure Evaluation
- Natural Clay Structure Evaluation
- Compacted Earth Structure Evaluation
- Concrete Lined Structure Evaluation
- Synthetic - Concrete Structure Evaluation
- Reinforced Concrete Structure Evaluation
- Steel Storage Structure Evaluation
- Solid - Dry Stack Structure Evaluation
- Daily Land Application Form
- Manifest for Large CAFO Waste
- CAFO Discharge Reporting Form
- Weekly CAFO Inspection Record
- NRCS Practice Standards (Field Office Technical Guide – FOTG)
- Air Emission Reporting Information
- EPA CAFO website
- Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program
- Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) Right-to-Farm/GAAMPs
If you have an questions or concerns relating to the CAFO program, please contact:
Complaints regarding discharges or other environmental problems should be directed to the appropriate district office for the county where the problem exists. District office contact information can be found on the EGLE Locations web page. You may also call the 24 hour Pollution Emergency Alert System (PEAS) at: 800-292-4706 especially if the situation is an environmental emergency or the complaint needs to be made outside normal business hours.