Skip to main content

Private Residential Water Well Testing

residential home with trees
Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy

Private Residential Water Well Testing

Contact Information

Sara Pearson

Your well was required to be tested when it was first installed, but what about after that? You are the owner of your water system, and it is your responsibility to protect your drinking water quality and the groundwater source.

Standard water quality concerns for private wells include coliform bacteria, nitrate, nitrite, fluoride, chloride, sulfate, sodium, hardness, and metals like aluminum, antimony, arsenic, boron, cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, iron, manganese, mercury, selenium, uranium, and zinc.

Step 1: Request a test kit!

Due to overwhelming interest and requests for kits, we have received requests for all of the kits provided with the available funding.

PLEASE NOTE: Your submission does not guarantee free private well testing. Submissions will be fulfilled in the order received until the $5 million funding limit for this program has been reached. Due to the great response for test kits, the laboratories are busy processing orders. If you received a free kit, your order will be shipped over the coming weeks. 

Interested in paying for testing?

If you are interested in paying for a water test, we recommend that you contact the EGLE Drinking Water Laboratory at 517-335-8184 or your regional health department laboratory:

  • Washtenaw County Health Department (Email or call 734-222-3800)
  • Oakland County Health Department (Email or call 248-858-1280)
  • Kalamazoo County Health Department (Call 269-373-5200)
  • Saginaw County Health Department (Call 989-758-3825)
  • Luce County (Call 906-293-5107 ext 303)
  • Mackinac County (Call 906-643-1100 ext 233)
  • Alger County (Call 906-387-2297 ext 401)
  • Schoolcraft County (Call 906-341-6951 ext 110)
  • White Water Associates Laboratory for the Western Upper Peninsula (Call 906-822-7889)

How can I tell if my water supply is a private well?

A general rule to follow is if you get a bill for your water, you are likely on a community water supply. EGLE provides more information about common water supplies on our website. If you determine that your water is supplied by a public water supply, we recommend that you contact your local water supplier. They are required to analyze the water and maintain a standard of quality that is available to all users.

Step 2: View videos on how to collect a sample and fill out the sample form.

Step 3: What do my results mean?

EGLE recommends that you contact your local health department if you have specific questions about your results and recommendations for any actions you should take in caring for your well and your water source. Another resource that you may use to understand your results is the Be Well Informed online tool.

Use the Be Well Informed tool
Preview of the water wells viewer map
Preview of the water wells viewer map

Water well viewer

An interactive map displaying locations of the water wells across Michigan.