Skip to main content

Certificates of Coverage on Public Notice

NPDES Certificates of Coverage (COC) and supporting documents are available via MiEnviro.  This will include proposed certificates of coverage and individual NPDES permits.

The issuance of an NPDES permit or COC does not authorize violation of any federal, state or local laws or regulations, nor does it obviate the necessity of obtaining such permits, including any other EGLE permits, or approvals from other units of government as may be required by law. 

A general permit is designed to cover permittees with similar operations and/or type of discharge. General permits contain effluent limitations protective of most surface waters statewide. Locations where more stringent requirements are necessary require an individual permit. Facilities that are determined to be eligible to be covered under a general permit receive a COC.

Provided below is a list of NPDES general permit categories: 

  • Ballast Water 
  • Biosolids 
  • Hydrostatic Pressure Test Water 
  • Potable Water Supply Wastewater* 
  • Noncontact Cooling Water 
  • Wastewater from Cleanup of Water Contaminated by Gasoline and Related Petroleum Products 
  • Public Swimming Pools 
  • Sand and Gravel Mining Wastewater 
  • Secondary Treatment Wastewater 
  • Wastewater Stabilization Lagoons 
  • Storm Water from Industrial Activities 
  • Storm Water with Required Monitoring 
  • Storm Water Discharges from Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4s) 
  • Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO)* 

* Facility maps from the CAFO and Water Treatment Plant applications will not be available via the internet, due to homeland security issues. Information regarding facility maps can be obtained by contacting the permit processor. 

Comments or objections on the draft COC received by the response date will be considered in the final decision to issue the COC. Persons desiring information regarding the draft COC, and procedures for commenting, or requesting a hearing should contact the individual listed as the permit processor. 

Electronic comments may be submitted to the permit processor within MiEnviro. Phone numbers can be found on the Permit Section Staff phone list. Written comments should be mailed to: Permits Section, Water Resources Division, EGLE, Box 30458, Lansing, Michigan 48909. 

Persons desiring additional information regarding public involvement opportunities within the EGLE should download a copy of the EGLE Public Involvement Handbook