Skip to main content

Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control - Projects within 500 Feet of a Lake or Stream

If your project is less than 1 acre of total earth disturbance, a Local Soil Erosion Permit may be required. Permit triggers may vary, but typically a permit is required for any project within 500 feet of a lake or stream regardless of size, or for any project OVER 1 acre in earth disturbance. If your project is greater than 500 feet from a lake or stream and under 1 acre in total earth disturbance, you should still contact your local agency to determine if a permit is required, as some counties and municipalities have ordinances that are more restrictive. Specific application and permit requirements can be found by contacting the county or municipal agency where the work is occurring or visiting their website.