Skip to main content

FAQ: Hazardous Waste and Liquid Industrial By-products

Up-close Photo of PFAS Treatment System
Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy

FAQ: Hazardous Waste and Liquid Industrial By-products

Control of hazardous wastes in Michigan is accomplished through a set of interrelated actions. These include managing the generation, treatment, storage and disposal of hazardous wastes, licensing and regulating hazardous and liquid industrial by-products (formerly liquid industrial waste) transportation, and informing individuals of the opportunities for proper disposal of hazardous and harmful wastes generated in the home.

  • Go to the Hazardous Waste Program Forms and License Application Website, select the EQP 5150 Form link, complete the form, and e-mail it to with a receipt verifying payment from the pay place. Payment is required for a new Site ID or when the owner for property with a Site ID changes.

  • The handling and disposal requirements for unwanted materials varies based on:

    • the hazards presented by the
    • where it comes from (household or non-household), and
    • how much waste is generated monthly if it is a hazardous waste.

    Most waste materials regulated by EGLE are regulated under the Michigan Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act and Public Health Code. To learn more about how different waste materials are regulated by EGLE, see the Michigan Guide to Environmental Regulations, recorded Waste Webinar Series, the Generator Resources Website, and the Waste Type Websites.

  • Used petroleum-based oil must be recycled in Michigan. It is generally considered a fuel unless it is grossly contaminated with something that makes it unsuitable to burn. See the Used Oil Overview to learn more about how used oil is regulated in Michigan. See the Used Oil Common Violations Checklist to learn about common violations inspectors see when inspecting generators of petroleum-based use oil. See the Secondary Containment Guidance to learn when secondary containment is required.

  • See the Common Generator Violations Website to learn about common violations inspectors see when inspecting hazardous waste generators.

  • Check out our Hazardous Waste 101 video to quickly learn what materials are classified as hazardous waste under the state and federal environmental regulations.

  • Liquid industrial by-products generally include liquids and sludges that are not subject to handling and reporting requirements under other regulations (e.g. liquids and sludges not subject to the hazardous waste or medical waste regulations or a wastewater permit, etc.). Common examples of liquid industrial by-products include used oil; antifreeze; discarded vegetable animal fats, oil and grease; grease trap clean-out waste; industrial and commercial wastewaters like wastewaters or on-site septic system sludges from food processing, slaughter houses or laundromats; storm sewer and car wash catch basin wastewaters and sludges; some precipitation removed from secondary containment structures; some sanitary sewer clean-out wastewaters or sludges; some off-specification commercial chemical products; and liquids exempted from hazardous waste regulation like hazardous secondary materials, brine, and very small quantity generator hazardous waste liquids. Liquid industrial by-products regulations apply to most discarded liquids pumped and hauled over public roadway for recycling treatment or disposal. Liquid industrial by-product generators have similar handling requirements to hazardous waste generators. See our Liquid Industrial Generator Guidance, Liquid Industrial By-Products FAQs, and Transporter Websites to learn more.

  • View our map of license hazardous waste facilities to see where they are located in Michigan. To contact commercial vendors to assist with hazardous waste recycling and disposal, see the list of vendors that assist with household hazardous waste disposal.

  • US Environmental Protection Agency oversees polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) program implementation under the federal Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). For questions on PCB handling and disposal, visit or call 312-886-7890.