MCSC launches Michigan Youth for Service poster contest
The Michigan Youth for Service poster contest is a statewide competition designed to encourage service work among residents, nonprofit organizations and legislators and engage them in discussions about volunteerism. The Michigan Community Service Commission encourages young artists to create a poster that can be used to promote volunteerism.
- Applicants must be in grades K-12. Competition extends to all youth in these grade levels, including those in nontraditional educational settings (e.g. homeschooling, alternative education, etc.).
- Artwork should reflect the theme of volunteerism and represent the importance and benefits of service work.
- The theme may be depicted in the student’s artwork through one or a combination of illustrations (e.g., signs and symbols, people, abstract, industry, wildlife) and can be created using media such as acrylics, watercolor, pencils, charcoal, magic markers, spray paint, crayons, and pastel or digitally produced images, collages, cutouts, and stamping.
- Applicants may incorporate a catch-phrase of their own that reflects the theme (e.g. “Give More”).
- The finished poster must measure 8 ½ x 14 inches.
- The poster must be submitted with a completed application, which includes a description of the poster and a brief biography of the artist, either written legibly or typed.
- Complete contest rules must be followed at all levels of the competition. Incomplete packages and incorrectly sized posters will not be eligible for judging.
- Artwork will be judged on:
- Reflection of the contest theme
- Visual appeal
- Written applications will be judged on:
- Comprehension of the theme
- Grammar and syntax appropriate to the applicant’s grade level
- Construct your creative and original poster either by hand or electronically.
- Submit your poster, completed application and signed consent and release form to Michigan Community Service Commission (MCSC) by April 20. Preferred method of submission is electronic. Upload PDF, scan or picture to Survey Monkey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7B6VHMV.
- If online methods are unavailable to you, please mail your design to 222 N. Washington Square, Suite 100, Lansing, MI 48933.
- Three winners will be chosen: one from grades K-4, one from grades 5-8 and one from grades 9-12.
- MCSC will notify each winning contestant via email.
Governor’s Service Awards
All three winners will be invited to Lansing to participate in the Governor’s Service Awards on June 5.
The winning posters:
- Become the property of MCSC and will be displayed at their office, congressional meetings, and other locations as determined by MCSC. Any applicable copyrights will be held by this office.
- May be used in publications, exhibits, displays and on websites, as determined by MCSC.
- Photos of the winners and their posters will be available through MCSC and may be posted wherever contest information is available.
- February 20 - Poster contest begins
- April 20 - Submission deadline
- May 14 - Winners notified
- June 5 - Governor’s Service Awards Ceremony