Resources for Conducting a School Systems Review
The purpose of completing the School Systems Review (SSR) is to engage your staff in meaningful dialogue about school processes that support student achievement. Thoughtful analysis of the research-based indicators from the School Improvement Framework 2.0 can assist staff in identifying system strengths and opportunities for improvement. The School Systems Review is one piece of the comprehensive needs assessment that informs your School Improvement Plan.
Checklist for Before, During, and After the School Systems Review (SSR) Process
The instructions listed below describe how to facilitate/lead the School Systems Review process. This checklist will help you keep track of necessary items as you prepare to lead the process. Click the links below to download the documents.
Before the Process
- Read Recommendations for Getting the Most Out of the School Systems Review (SSR)
- Read Suggested Approaches for the School Systems Review. Select a suggested approach or create your own.
- Read Key Steps for Completing the School Systems Review.
- Review the PowerPoint presentation titled “Completing the School Systems Review”. You may choose to modify the PowerPoint presentation to best meet your school’s needs.
- The lead facilitator(s) should familiarize themselves with:
- Assemble all necessary materials.
- PowerPoint presentation titled “Completing the School Systems Review”
- One copy of the School Improvement Framework 2.0 Overview for each participant
- One copy of the School Systems Review for each participant
- One copy of the Dialogue Recording Form for each Indicator of the Framework
- Copies of the Glossary for each work team
- Pen/pencils for participants
- Chart paper and markers (depending on the approach you select/how you would like your participants to record notes)
During the Process
- Ensure that teams are recording evidence on the Dialogue Recording Form (or chart paper) during their dialogue about the Guiding Questions.
After the Process
- Collect all the School Systems Review documents and Dialogue Recording Forms. Organize them by Strand and keep them together. These notes will be useful for school improvement planning.