The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
According to the dictionary, a standard is “something considered by an authority or by general consent as a basis of comparison”. Today’s world is replete with standards documents such as standards of care, standards of quality, and even standard operating procedures. These various sets of standards serve to outline agreed-upon expectations, rules, or actions which guide practice and provide a platform for evaluating or comparing these practices.
The State academic standards posted here serve to outline learning expectations for Michigan’s students and are intended to guide local curriculum development. They should be used as a framework by schools for curriculum development with the curriculum itself prescribing instructional resources, methods, progressions, and additional knowledge valued by the local community. Furthermore, these standards provide a platform for State assessments, which are used to measure how well schools are providing opportunities for all students to learn the content outlined by the standards.
On this page, you will also find the course/credit descriptions and guidelines for implementing the Michigan Merit Curriculum for each subject area. For questions related to Academic Standards, please call the Office of Educational Supports Educational Experiences Unit at 517-241-2219.
Please note: Alternate Content Expectations are intended ONLY for students with the most significant cognitive disabilities.
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE), in partnership with The Comprehensive Center Network Region 8, is providing the following report: Tools and Guidance for Evaluating Bias in Instructional Materials. Districts may use this report to identify tools and rubrics that will assess bias in local standards and curricular materials.
- Visual, Performing and Applied Arts Course/Credit Requirements
- Standards, Benchmarks, and Grade Level Content Expectations (GLCEs) for Visual Arts, Music, Dance, and Theatre
- Michigan Arts Education Instruction and Assessment Project (MAEIA)
Career and College Ready Skills
- Career and Technical Education (CTE) National Career Ready Practices
- CTE National Standards by Career Cluster and Career Pathways
- CTE Standards by Program Area
English Language Arts (ELA)
- ELA Course/Credit Requirements
- Michigan K-12 ELA Standards
- ELA Alternate Content Expectations
- ELA Crosswalks: Claims, Targets, and Standards
English Language Development Standards
- Michigan High School Health Credit Guidelines
- Michigan High School Health Standards
- K-8 GLCEs for Health Education
- Mathematics Course/Credit Requirements
- Michigan K-12 Mathematics Standards
- Mathematics Alternate Content Expectations
- Mathematics Crosswalks: Claims, Targets, and Standards
- Personal Finance
- Coming in August 2022
- Science Course/Credit Requirements
- Michigan K-12 Science Standards
- Michigan Science Standards: An Overview for Principals
- Model Course Mapping Resource
- Social Studies Course/Credit Requirements
- Michigan K-12 Social Studies Standards (June 2019)
- Personal Finance
- Michigan K-12 Computer Science Standards
- Michigan Integrated Educational Technology Competencies for Students (MITECS)
- Michigan Seal of Biliteracy
- World Languages Standards and Benchmarks
- World Languages Guidelines (Updated September 2014)
- World Languages Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (Updated October 2014)