The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Early Warning Intervention and Monitoring System (EWIMS)
An Early Warning Intervention and Monitoring System (EWIMS) is a data-driven, decision-making process that helps educators systematically identify students who are showing signs that they are at risk of dropping out of school, examine the underlying causes of risk, and match students' needs to interventions, monitor students' progress, and the success of those interventions. Fundamentally, EWIMS is an ongoing cycle of examining data and making decisions about supports and interventions to help students get back on track and succeed.
Early warning systems are a cross-office effort that brings in strategic partners in support of differentiated instruction and personalized learning, leveraging appropriate technologies. As a result of this research, collaboration, and technology; districts and educators are empowered to deliver appropriate and effective student interventions and provide targeted professional learning. For more information, please email MDE-EWIMS@michigan.gov.
- Michigan Early Warning Intervention and Monitoring System Implementation Guide
- EWIMS and EduPaths Professional Development for Educators
- EWIMS Facilitator's Guide
EWIMS Training Videos
- Overview of the Seven-Step Early Warning Intervention and Monitoring System; Overview PDF
- EWIMS Step 1 - Establishing Roles and Responsibilities; Step 1 PDF
- EWIMS Step 2 - Using the Early Warning Data Tool; Step 2 PDF
- EWIMS Step 3 - Reviewing Early Warning Data; Step 3 PDF
- EWIMS Step 4 - Interpreting Early Warning Data; Step 4 PDF
- EWIMS Step 5 - Assigning and Providing Interventions; Step 5 PDF
- EWIMS Step 5 - Supplementary Resources
- EWIMS Step 6 - Monitoring Interventions and Student Progress; Step 6 PDF
- EWIMS Step 7 - Evaluating and Refining the EWIMS Process; Step 7 PDF