Skip to main content

How to File a Complaint

State Civil Rights

Michigan school districts must adopt written procedures for the prompt resolution of complaints of discrimination or harassment. These procedures are available at any district school or office. District procedures are often printed in school student and parent handbooks. Many districts also post this information on their district or school web sites. It is ideal to alert the local Michigan school district first of any concerns and follow its procedures for investigation and resolution, however, complaints can be filed with the U.S. Department of Education at any time.  The Office of Civil Rights that oversees complaints in Michigan can be contacted at:

Office for Civil Rights,
Cleveland Office
U.S. Department of Education
1350 Euclid Avenue, Suite 325
Cleveland, OH 44115
Telephone: 216-522-4970
Fax: 216-522-2573


You may also contact Jim Whittaker, at:
P.O. Box 30712
Lansing, MI 48909
Telephone: 517-241-2091
Fax: 517-241-5347


Federal Civil Rights: