The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Child Nutrition Programs Training Calendar
Annual SFSP Sponsor Training (Registration is required)
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) is offering in-person trainings for 2023.
All sponsors planning to participate in the SFSP in 2023 are required to attend an annual SFSP sponsor training. In addition to the annual SFSP sponsor training, MDE will be hosting Coordinated Application webinars to assist sponsors with completing the 2023 SFSP application.
All sponsors, even if you completed the training last year, are required to attend one annual SFSP in-person sponsor training. Any new staff in key positions are encouraged to participate in the SFSP trainings offered.
Tuesday, March 14, 2023 – Macomb ISD
Wednesday, March 15, 2023 – Lansing
Tuesday, March 21, 2023 – Kalamazoo
Tuesday, April 4, 2023 – Wayne
Tuesday, April 18, 2023 – Gaylord
Wednesday, April 19, 2023 – Flint (Camp sponsors only)
Thursday, April 20, 2023 – Flint
Tuesday, April 25, 2023 – Grand Rapids
Wednesday, April 26, 2023 – Grand Rapids (Camp sponsors only)
Tuesday, May 2, 2023 – Marquette
Wednesday, May 3, 2023 – Marquette (Camp sponsors only)
SFSP Annual Training PowerPoint
SFSP Annual Training (Camp Sponsors ONLY)
Coordinated Application Webinars
Beginning in 2023, the SFSP application will be moving to the Coordinated Application. In addition to the in-person sponsor training, the SFSP Team will be hosting Coordinated Application Webinars. Registration is not required, just click on the link, and join us!
Thursday, March 9, 2023, 1:00pm-3:00pm
Thursday, March 30, 2023, 9:00am – 11:00am
Coordinated Application Webinar
SFSP Office Hours
The SFSP Team is here to help! The team will be hosting office hours on the following Thursdays from 2:00-3:00pm
Thursday, March 20, 2023
Thursday, April 6, 2023
Thursday, April 13, 2023
Thursday, April 20, 2023
Thursday, April 27, 2023
Thursday, May 4, 2023
Unanticipated School Closure
If an unanticipated event occurs, sponsors are able to serve meals under the Unanticipated School Closure. Sponsors are required to be trained on USC SFSP, an intake form must be completed and the SFSP application is required to be updated.
SFSP Training Resources
Operating the SFSP
- Summer Food Service Program Overview
- How to Be a Drop-in Friendly SFSP
- Serving Meals for the SFSP
- Modeling Healthy Behaviors
- Guidance Manuals
- Training your Staff
- Civil Rights Training
- Civil Rights Training Module - NSLP
- Non-Discrimination Statement - This long statement is to be included on websites and printed materials.
- SFSP Meal Patterns- This webpage shows requirements for serving reimbursable meals and snacks
- Meal Pattern Comparison Chart
- How Do They Compare? Meal Pattern Requirements
- Allowable and Unallowable Costs - This MDE resource provides an overview of allowable and unallowable costs to assist sponsors in determining if costs are allowable under Federal cost principles.
- Assessing Costs - This USDA resource provides an overview of allowable costs, selected items of cost, and assessment questions to assist sponsors in determining if costs are allowable under Federal cost principles.