The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Emergency Management Performance Grant
The purpose of the Emergency Management Performance Grants (EMPG) program is to provide Federal funds to states to assist state, local, territorial, and tribal governments in preparing for all hazards, as authorized by Section 662 of the Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act, as amended (6 U.S.C. § 762) and the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, as amended (42 U.S.C. §§ 5121 et seq.). Title VI of the Stafford Act authorizes DHS/FEMA to make grants for the purpose of providing a system of emergency preparedness for the protection of life and property in the United States from all hazards and to vest responsibility for emergency preparedness jointly in the Federal Government, states, and their political subdivisions. The Federal Government, through the EMPG program, provides direction, coordination, and guidance, and provides necessary assistance, as authorized in this title, to support a comprehensive all-hazards emergency preparedness system. The EMPG provides Federal funds to assist state, local, tribal, and territorial emergency management agencies to obtain the resources required to support implementation of the National Preparedness System and the National Preparedness Goal (the Goal) of a secure and resilient Nation.
EMPG Useful Links
- FEMA National Preparedness Goal
- FEMA National Preparedness System
- DHS Laws & Regulations
- FEMA Grants
- FEMA Emergency Management Performance Grant Program
Guidance and Resources
- 2024 Reports Submission Schedule
- 2024 Work Agreement (EMHSD-31)
- 2024 Supplemental Guidance to EMPG Work Agreement
- 2024 EMPG Work Agreement Activities Journal
- EMPG Guidebook
- 2021 FEMA Preparedness Grants Manual - FEMA developed Manual that provides additional direction on grant policy and implementation across various grants.
- List of Grants List of Grants Awarded by MSP-EMHSD since FY 2006 - MSP/EMHSD preparedness grants subawards since Fiscal Year 2006.
- Equipment Tracking Template (Excel)
- Equipment Definitions
- 2024 EMPG Document Submission Checklist
- EMD-006 - Training and Exercise Plan Worksheet