Lead and Copper Rule
Lead and Copper Rule
The purpose of the Lead and Copper Rule (LCR) is to protect public health by minimizing lead and copper levels in drinking water. Lead and copper enter drinking water mainly from corrosion of lead and copper containing plumbing materials. The rule establishes action levels (AL) for lead and copper based on a 90th percentile level of tap water samples. An action level exceedance is not a violation but triggers other requirements to minimize exposure to lead and copper in drinking water, including water quality parameter monitoring, corrosion control treatment, source water monitoring/treatment, public education, and lead service line replacement. All community water supplies and nontransient noncommunity water supplies are subject to the LCR requirements.
Lead and Copper Tap Sampling
Sample Site Selection
Site selection criteria were updated in 2018 to place more emphasis on sites with lead service lines. Review the updated Sample Site Collection Criteria to confirm the sites in your sampling pool still meet proper tiering criteria.
Lead and Copper Sampling Plan (Sampling Pool)
Water supplies must submit to EGLE a Sampling Plan that contains a pool of properly tiered lead and copper tap sampling sites.
Sampling Plan Instructions and Guidance
- Steps for Completing the Lead and Copper Sampling Plan
- Site Selection and Sampling Plan Memo (March 2019)
Sampling Plan Form
Tap Sampling Checklist
To avoid missing steps or deadlines, use this checklist as you prepare for and conduct lead and copper tap sampling and report results to EGLE.
Samples MUST be collected according to very specific instructions. Water supplies may use the following instructions to inform operators and/or homeowners on proper sample collection.
Sites WITHOUT Lead Service Lines
Sites WITH Lead Service Lines
Water Quality Parameter (WQP) Tap Sampling
Use these WQP report templates to report sampling results to EGLE. Choose the appropriate template based on whether or not your system has corrosion control treatment.
Distribution System Materials Inventory (DSMI)
Service Line Information
Building owner/operator service line material notification
- Service line material notification guidance
- Template notice of KNOWN lead service line: Notice 1
- Template notice of LIKELY lead service line: Notice 2
- Template of UNKNOWN service line material: Notice 3
- Template notice of service line that cannot be determined: Notice 4
- Template Enclosure - Reducing Potential Exposure to Lead
- Site Selection/Sampling Plans (Recorded 04/20/2021, 1 hr 29 min)
- Sampling (Recorded 05/04/2021, 1 hr 20 min)
- Reporting (Recorded 05/25/2021, 1 hr 13 min)
- Overview of Service Line Replacement and CDSMI-Minimum Services Line Material Verification Requirements (Recorded 9/9/2021, 1 hr 37 min)
- All Things Water Quality Parameters (WQPs) (Recorded 9/14/21, 1 hr 26 min)
- Lead and Copper Rule (LCR) Compliance Reporting (Recorded 9/21/2021, 1 hr 15 min)