Skip to main content

FAQ: Permits and Licenses

  • Use the EGLE Forms Website to find EGLE forms for registration, licensing, permitting, inspections, complaints and more.

  • See the EGLE Permits Website and State License Search Website to determine what authorizations are required from EGLE and the State for activities occurring in Michigan.

  • The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) has developed the Does My Project Need a Permit guidance document to help determine if you need an EGLE permit for your project. If you do, a Joint Permit Application will need to be submitted through the MiEnviro online permit application site. You can visit the EGLE/USACE Joint Permit Application webpage for more information on applying for a permit.

  • Notification is required for asbestos removal and required for all demolitions even if the structure never contained asbestos. Asbestos Notification, AQD, Asbestos Program, 517-899-2182.


  • Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control (SESC) Permits:

    Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act (NREPA), Part 91 provides for the control of soil erosion and protects adjacent properties and the waters of the state from sedimentation.

    A permit is generally required for any earth change activity which disturbs one or more acres of land or which is within 500 feet of a lake or stream.

    Part 91 is administered and enforced by various state, county, and local governmental agencies. There are four categories of agencies recognized under Part 91:

    1. Counties are mandated by statute to administer and enforce Part 91. The board of commissioners for each county must appoint an agency within the county, referred to as the County Enforcing Agency (CEA), to review soil erosion and sedimentation control plans, issue permits, and take enforcement actions when necessary to ensure compliance with Part 91.

    2. Municipal Enforcing Agencies (MEAs) are cities, villages, charter townships, and some general law townships that have elected to enforce Part 91 through adoption of a soil erosion and sedimentation control ordinance. After approval of the ordinance by the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE), the MEAs assume responsibility for administering and enforcing Part 91 within their jurisdictions, independent of the CEAs.

    3. Authorized Public Agencies (APAs) are state, county, or municipal agencies, such as the Michigan Department of Transportation, county road commissions, and city street departments, that have been designated by EGLE to undertake earth change activities without having to obtain soil erosion and sedimentation control permits from the county or municipal enforcing agencies. Designation is dependent upon having acceptable procedures for controlling erosion and off-site sedimentation.

    4. EGLE's Water Resource Division (WRD) has oversight responsibility over the statewide SESC Program and all Part 91 agencies. Please refer to the following for your local Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Agencies.

    Counties have the primary responsibility for issuing permits. In some cases, cities, villages, and townships have assumed permitting responsibility within their jurisdictions. Permit applications can be obtained from the respective county or municipal agencies. Copies of Part 91 and the rules can be found on the SESC Web page. Questions regarding whether an activity requires a permit should be discussed with the county or municipal permitting agency identified.

    Storm Water Coverage for Construction Activities Permits:

    Construction activities which disturb one or more acres of land and have a point source discharge of storm water to waters of the state (streams, rivers, lakes, and wetlands) are required to obtain a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit from EGLE's Water Resources Division (WRD).

    The WRD has adopted a process called "Permit-by Rule" (Rule 2190, promulgated under Part 31, NREPA) for issuing the necessary storm water coverage. Permit-by Rule "streamlines" the permitting process and is dependent upon the applicant first obtaining Part 91 coverage, i.e., obtaining an SESC permit from the appropriate Part 91 permitting agency or being designated an APA.

    For sites disturbing one to five acres, the applicant/permittee receives automatic storm water coverage upon the applicant obtaining a Part 91 permit (or undertaking the project as an APA). Although the coverage is automatic, the permittee must comply with the requirements of Permit by Rule.

    For sites disturbing five or more acres, the applicant/permittee must obtain a Part 91 permit (or undertake the project as an APA) and submit an application for Notice of Coverage (NOC) to the WRD. Along with the NOC application, the applicant/permittee must submit a copy of the SESC permit, approved SESC plan, site location map, and the $400 permit fee.

    The permittee must follow the requirements of Permit by Rule. Permit-by Rule requires compliance with the SESC permit issued under Part 91 and also requires SESC measures to be inspected weekly and within 24 hours of a significant rain event by a certified storm water operator. The certification materials and testing are available in most WRD district office.

    To become a certified Construction Storm Water Operator, please visit our training page for all self-study training materials and exam registration information.


  • Contact: For additional information, please contact your local district office.

    What can I use as a time guide in planning and scheduling my project? 

    Generally it will take from 30 to 90 days from the time we receive a complete application until a decision is made on your permit. Other factors include: 

    • The size and complexity of your project. 
    • The number of corrections and additional information that are required for your original application to be administratively complete. 
    • If the project requires a Public Notice or a Public Hearing. 
    • The season of the year, with spring and summer being the busiest. 
    • Correct application fee paid by check made out to the State of Michigan or by credit card within MiEnviro.  Refer to Permit Application Payment Options.

    How do I apply for a permit? 

    EGLE's Water Resources Division has transitioned to MiEnviro, a web-based permitting and compliance database.  The application is a form in MiEnviro and will be submitted through the system. You will also pay application fees online using MiEnviro.

    Applications will be assigned in the system to District staff based on geographic location and project type (ex: Dam Safety Unit (DSU) and Transportation Review Unit (TRU)). Projects crossing District boundaries will typically be assigned to the District in which the majority of the work will be performed.

    How can I know if my application has been received and is being processed? 

    EGLE's Water Resources Division has transitioned to MiEnviro, a web-based permitting and compliance database that can be used to check the status of your application. MiEnviro will send you notices when deadlines are approaching or information is required.

    How soon will WRD staff begin working on my application? 

    Application processing begins when the application is received.  Typically, review for administrative completeness begins within 0 to 14 days of receipt.  The completeness review time ranges from 0 to 45 days, depending on how complete the application is when submitted, and the need for additional information, clarification, or fees.  Once the necessary information is received, the application is processed as expeditiously as possible.  Some projects may be posted for a 20-45 day public notice period.

    What items must be submitted with an application so it can be determined "complete" as submitted, without requiring additional information? 

    • READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS THOROUGHLY! Check all the items on the instructions list prior to starting submission of the application. Learn more about JPA online application submittal instructions.
    • Fully complete all required Sections. The application requires certain questions to be answered and will not allow submittal if not completed.
    • Provide the correct application fee determined in MiEnviro. The scope of the project you are applying for in your application will determine your fees and will be calculated by the application form. Payment must be submitted online using MiEnviro. 

    Why and when would I receive a letter that requests more information? 

    If during the application review process your application is determined to be incomplete, you will receive notification in MiEnviro and be contacted by phone, email or letter requesting clarification, amplification, or correction of the application or additional fees, if necessary.  More information may be required if the additional information provided is unclear inconsistent, or incomplete. You have a maximum of 30 days to provide all requested information to make the file complete, or the file will be closed due to administrative incompleteness.  Fees are not refundable. In some instances extension requests are available and you will be notified if this is the case. 

    Once complete, how will my file be processed? 

    Technical review time usually ranges from 1 to 90 days.  Processing times may be longer if a public notice is required or if a public hearing is held.  Staff will begin the technical review and conduct a site inspection once the application is determined to be administratively complete.  During the field inspection staff may determine that the application does not fully represent the proposed project and may contact you for additional information prior to making a permit decision.  Decision extension requests are available, if requested by the applicant.

    What if a federal permit is also required?

    If the proposed activity is in Section 10 Waters (Great Lakes, Lake St. Clair, large navigable waters), a copy of the permit application will be sent to the Detroit District Office, US Army Corps of Engineers for processing at the federal level, ( or call 313-226-2218). Outside of Section 10 Waters, if the permit application requires federal review due to impact, it will be sent to the US Environmental Protection Agency for comment. 

    Is there other information available to assist me in putting together a complete application? 

    Guidance and information is available on line at  Additionally, pre-application meetings are available.  You may contact your district office to make arrangements. 

    Additional Questions? 

    If you have any questions about the permitting process please contact the appropriate district office. Questions regarding MiEnviro should be directed to MiEnviro staff.
  • Visit the EGLE's Permits web page to understand what permits you may need to start your new business.