The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Technology Related to Blindness and Visual Impairment
Please note: These resources, compiled by staff, are provided for your information only, without any official endorsement or guarantee. For corrections or updates, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Information on Adaptive Software and Equipment
2. Free Assistive Technology for the Blind
a. Free Magnification Software
b. Free Screen Readers for Microsoft Windows
c. Free Screen Readers for Linux Operating System
d. Free Antivirus Software
e. Free Internet and E-Mail
f. Free E-Books and Daisy Software
g. Free Tutorials and Training
h. Other Free Software and Related Resources
3. Free Services and Products
4. Low-Cost Software
5. Online Sales of Adaptive Equipment and Software for the Blind
- ACB Radio -- Connecting the Blind Community
- Accessible Programs and JAWS scripts
- Accessible World
- AccessIT -- National Center on Accessible Information Technology in Education, University of Washington
- AccessWatch: A Resource for the Visually Impaired
- AFB AccessWorld: Technology and People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired, American Foundation for the Blind
- Blind Access Journal
- Blind Geek Zone
- Blind Podcasters
- Blind Resources Info
- Disability.gov -- Assistive and Information Technology
- Empowerment Zone -- Helping individuals and communities achieve self-actualization
- Flying Blind, LLC -- Home / News Page
- FSCast -- Podcasts from Freedom Scientific for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
- Greater Detroit Agency for the Blind and Visually Impaired -- Technology Suppliers
- JFWLite Home Page
- Michigan Disability Resources
- Technology -- American Foundation for the Blind
- Top Dot Enterprises, Training for Blind Computer Users
- VIP Conduit -- Many Voices, One Chorus
- The Visually Impaired Information Center
- DesktopZoom -- Lets you zoom in and out with the wheel of your mouse.
- EasyRead -- Lets you view web pages at the size you want.
- Virtual Magnifying Glass 3.5 -- A free, open source, screen magnifier, for Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD
- Workers Collection Magnifying Glass -- The mouse cursor is magnified, but Windows events are not tracked.
- AMIS (Adaptive Multimedia Information System) -- Free of charge, open-source DAISY book playback software
- Project Gutenberg, the first producer of free electronic books (e-books)
- Assistive Technology Exchange Website -- Find equipment for sale or for giveaway
- Directory Assistance -- Dial 800-373-3411 or 800-FREE-411 for free directory assistance. They will also connect your call for free.
- Google 411 Voice Portal Business Directory. Call 800-GOOG-411 or 800-466-4411. You can choose a city and state and then search specific listings or categories. The service will then list all the businesses in the city relating to that category. When you choose one, it will connect you free of charge.
- Hearing Aid, free from the Lions Hearing Center of Michigan, 4201 St. Antoine, 5E-UHC, Detroit, MI 48236, 313-745-4664 or 888-LHC-MICH
- Michigan Disability Resources
- Microsoft Business and Information Directory, 800-CALL-411 or 800-225-5411. This free service gives you numbers for businesses plus weather, movie listings, travel information, and traffic updates. Human recorded prompts are used for much of the listings, and the number is given without much delay. You can also be connected directly to a business or have the number sent as a text message. If you call back from the same phone, it remembers the last listing you requested, in case you need to call them back or you forgot the number.
- The Magnifier
- NaturalReader -- Text to speech software with natural-sounding voices. Cost varies depending on version and choice of voices.
- TextAloud -- Text to Speech Software with SAPI Voices™. Additional voices available for extra cost.
- Workers Collection -- Works on Windows 9x /ME, Windows NT / 2000 / XP, and Windows Vista.
- Zoommy Magnifier
- AbleZone -- Magnifiers and other adaptive equipment
- Blind Bargains -- Low prices on products for the blind
- CAPTEK -- Technology for people who are blind or visually impaired
- Dancing Dots -- Where music meets technology for the blind
- EnableMart -- Assistive Technology
- HARC Mercantile Assistive Listening Devices
- ILA (Independent Living Aids) -- Online store with items for people with disabilities
- iSpeech -- text to speech conversion of documents, blogs, texts, and other sources.
- Lighthouse International
- LS&S Group -- Online and catalog sales of products for people who are blind, visually impaired, deaf, or hard of hearing
- MaxiAids -- Products for people with disabilities.
- Speak to Me -- A catalogue of talking products