The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
MIOSHA Vision and Values
The mission of MIOSHA is to help protect the safety and health of Michigan workers.
The vision of MIOSHA is to enhance the quality of life and contribute to the economic vitality in Michigan. Through staff and stakeholder commitment and creativity, we will provide:
- Credible, customized, and timely consultation, education, and training services.
- Firm, fair, and consistent enforcement.
- Cooperative agreements with individual employers and employer/employee organizations.
- Relevant and fact-based rule promulgation.
- We provide a diverse range of services to meet the needs of our customers - Michigan’s employers, employees, labor unions, trade associations, and employer organizations:
- Protect employee and employer rights under MIOSHA.
- Ensure compliance with safety and health regulations through education, consultation, and enforcement inspections.
- Develop safety and health standards that provide protection for employees.
- Create cutting-edge award and partnership programs to recognize and build cooperative relationships.
- Provide a fair adjudication process.
- Collect and compile accurate and timely injury, illness, and fatality data, and program statistics.
- Coach employers to create a safety culture that values employee involvement, training, management commitment, and hazard analysis and prevention.
- Provide accurate assessment of employee exposures through analytical and instrument services.
- Enhance access to information and services through a comprehensive website.
We work collaboratively with our customers to help create safe and healthful work environments that preserve worker’s quality of life and protect the employers’ profitability. Examples of MIOSHA’s commitment include:
- Development of our own safety and health management system as a model to others.
- Going the extra mile to effectively demonstrate the importance of a strong safety culture.
- Recognition of employers who go beyond minimum requirements and exhibit commitment by marked improvements to safety and health.
We value Integrity by:
- Taking pride in honest and effective personal interaction with our customers.
- Being reliable, trustworthy, and honor our commitments.
- Standing for what we believe in.
- Advocating and adhering to safe work practices even when the solution is difficult.
We strive for Excellence by:
- Providing experienced and knowledgeable staff in the fields we regulate.
- Taking personal pride and responsibility in our work and being accountable for monitoring our own performance.
- Continuous improvement in our activities and services.
- Viewing interactions as an opportunity to learn and educate others about work-related safety and health.
We achieve Inclusion by:
- Promoting employer and employee participation in enforcement and consultative activities.
- Including our staff, stakeholders, and partners in making decisions that affect our customers.
- Seeking diversity by promoting group interaction in various workgroups and committees.
- Asking our customers about the quality of our services and seek recommendations for improvements.
We promote Teamwork by:
- Encouraging internal communication and cross-divisional interactions and projects.
- Actively cooperating to achieve our common goals.
- Maintaining a seamless network throughout the agency to ensure customer needs are met.
- Striving to find what we have in common rather than focusing on our differences.
We maintain Customer Focus by:
- Assisting our customers in achieving their safety and health goals.
- Striving to “Connect MIOSHA to Industry” through collaboration and information sharing.
- Providing consistent safety and health training statewide through CET services and the MIOSHA Training Institute.
- Offering a variety of awards based on successful safety and health management systems, developing ergonomic innovations, and improving the safety culture in the workplace.
- Encouraging partnerships and alliances that work in unison with industry and employers to achieve even greater health and safety systems and mentoring opportunities for industry peers.