The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Institute Of Higher Learning (IHL)
QUALIFICATIONS FOR IHL SCHOOLS
There are two initial requirements that your school must be able to meet before the approval process can begin:
- Your school must be approved to operate in the state of Michigan as an Institution of Higher Learning.
- You must have a policy to evaluate prior learning/credit and award credit when warranted for veterans and other eligible dependents.
All the rules and regulations for determining SAA approval focus on determining whether or not your institution is organized and is operated as a school.
The School Catalog
Your school must have a catalog. The catalog must include:
- A volume number and date of publication.
- Name of the school’s governing body, administrators and faculty.
- An academic calendar showing beginning and ending dates of terms and holidays observed.
- School policy about enrollment and entrance requirements for each program.
- Policies about leaves, absences, tardiness, and interruptions for unsatisfactory work.
- Policy relative to standards of progress, and a definition of the grading system. Minimum grades considered satisfactory and a description of the probation period, if any, and conditions of reentrance. It will also have a statement regarding maintenance of grades by the school.
- School policy about student behavior and conditions for dismissal.
- Schedule of fees, charges for tuition, books, supplies, tools, activities, lab fees, service charges, rentals, deposits and all other charges.
- The school refund policy.
- A description of the available space, facilities and equipment.
- An outline for each program of study showing courses, type of work or skill to be learned and approximate time and clock hours to be spent on each course.
- School policy relative to granting credit for previous education and training.
You will also have to supply the following information:
- A copy of your approval to operate as an IHL in Michigan.
- A copy/example of the school transcript and a copy of the diploma given upon completion of each program.
- Accrediting Agency letters.
As a part of the initial approval process, a physical inspection will be made by SAA staff membership to validate the appropriateness of the facility with the program being taught and its conduciveness to learning.