- Formative assessment is a planned, ongoing process used by all students and teachers during learning and teaching to elicit and use evidence of student learning to improve student understanding of intended disciplinary learning outcomes and support students to become more self-directed learners.(CCSSO FAST SCASS Austin, Texas June 2017)
Keep up-to-date with our weekly Spotlight on Student Assessment and Accountability
- FAME Coach and Team Member Expectations - Updated February 2020
- New FAME Coach Application Now Available
Deadline to apply is May 1, 2020
- Discussion Starter for The Formative Assessment Process
- Use this document to begin a 3 point discussion of formative assessment.
Connecting to Michigan's Top 10 in 10
Strategic Goal 2 Implement, with strong district and building leadership, high-quality instruction in every classroom through a highly coherent, child-centered instructional model where students meet their self-determined academic and personal goals to their highest potential. Strategic Goal 3 Develop, support and sustain a high-quality, prepared, and collaborative education workforce. Strategic Goal 4 Reduce the impact of high-risk factors, including poverty, and provide equitable resources to meet the needs of all students to ensure that they have access to quality educational opportunities.
Extending Learning Opportunities
Each is a long-term, supported learning experience that provides opportunity to learn, implement, and reflect on teaching and learning.
- Formative Assessment for Michigan Educators (FAME)
MDE's Formative Assessment for Michigan Educators (FAME) since 2008 has provided professional learning opportunities for teams of educators, led by a coach, to develop, read about, implement, and reflect on the formative assessment process. Teams are developed locally and share multiple configurations of members. Learning teams are provided a learning guide and access to a FAME resource website and encouraged to stay together for up to three years.
- Michigan Formative Assessment Academy 2017-2018
The Michigan Math and Science Centers Network offered a series of virtual learning opportunities for educators to learn and share math and science formative assessment strategies.
- CCSSO Learning Progressions: Supporting Instruction and Formative Assessment
Margaret Heritage presents definitions and attributes of learning progressions and how they support instructional planning and formative assessment.
- MAC ALN Margaret Heritage Video Presentation and Interview Feb. 2017
Links to Margaret Heritage's presentation "The Role, Purpose, and Power of Assessment for Learning in an Assessment System" followed by links to an interview with Margaret.
- CCSSO Reaping the Benefits of Deep Formative Assessment: Lessons from Around the World
This is a summary of observations from international formative assessment experts that may impact how state and federal government officials, school leaders, and classroom teachers support and practice formative assessment.
- CCSSO Assessment Labels Paper
This is a collection of labels that are currently used to describe various educational assessment types.
- CCSSO Supporting Formative Assessment for Deeper Learning
While written for policymakers, the primer provides a general description of formative assessment and its place in a comprehensive assessment system.
- Formative Assessment process Overview Module
This 15-20 minute module provides an overview of the formative assessment process and its essential components and elements that contribute to successful implementation.
- Revising the Definition of Formative Assessment
- Accentuate the Formative: Michigan Teachers use Rubrics and Video to Improve Their Practice
- CCSSO Vignettes
This document shares some classroom examples of formative assessment in practice. The vignettes are very short descriptions of formative assessment, some of which represent formative practices and some do not.
- Inside the Black Box
Companion article by Paul Black and Dylan Wiliam based on the influential research on formative assessment.
- MAC Assessment Literacy Standards
The Michigan State Board of Education endorsed in May 2016 a set of assessment literacy standards for administrators, teachers, students and parents, and policymakers.
- MAC ALN Formative Assessment Feb. 2017
Written by the Michigan Assessment Consortium as a summary description of formative assessment.
- CCSSO Formative Assessment Next Generation Assessment System
Margaret Heritage describes why it is critical to make the distinction that formative assessment is not a tool but a process as part of effective teaching and learning.
- Assessment Learning Network Learning Point: What do we mean by Formative Assessment?