- Information Line
Do you have a question related to special education?
- Parent Resources
Information about special education for parents and families.
- Procedural Safeguards
Schools must provide notice to parents about the protections and rights for their
children with disabilities.
- State Complaints Procedures and Model Forms and Dispute Resolution Options Documents Released
To provide clarity and transparency for all stakeholders, the Problem Solving Process guidance document is being replaced with two documents.
- Building Capacity - Improving Outcomes
How the Office of Special Education supports the Michigan Department of Education's Mission, Vision, and Top 10 Strategic Plan.
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) 2021 Public Reporting Data Available
Michigan's 2021 performance data for students with an individualized education program (IEP) are now available, as required by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
These data provide districts and communities an opportunity to see what is working well in special education for children and students from ages 3 through 21, and to identify what aspects need improvement. Reporting areas include graduation, dropout, statewide assessment, and parent involvement.
- Special Education Teacher Tuition Reimbursement Grant Opportunity
Grant funds are intended to incentivize certified Michigan teachers to earn an additional endorsement in special education for employment in a program where they are currently not qualified. The grant can be used to cover tuition costs up to $800.00 per credit hour for a maximum of six credits per year, per teacher for up to three years.
- Waiver Application for Teacher Endorsement Flexibility Under Rule 390.1105(3)
Waiver application to fill an open and eligible special education program position with a special education teacher endorsed in an area of special education.
- Previously Released Guidance
A list of all guidance documents released by the Office of Special Education.
- The Path Forward Strategic Action Plan
An outcome-focused plan to bring about systemic change to support post-school success for students with disabilities in Michigan.
- Return to Learn for Students with IEPs Webinars
Recording and slides from MDE Office of Special Education hosted webinars from September and December.
- MDE COVID-19 Special Education Information and Resources
- Guidance for Compliance with IDEA and the MARSE During the
This guidance document is designed to assist districts in meeting the IDEA
Part B and MARSE requirements in support of Governor Whitmer's Executive Order
- Comparison of Compensatory Education and Recovery Services Due to COVID-19
- Guidance to Address Foregone Learning for Students with IEPs as a Result of the COVID19 Pandemic
Students with IEPs may benefit from recovery services due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Recovery services are supplemental to the offer of FAPE and are in response to foregone learning that may have occurred as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent school building closures and the potential additional impact of the loss for a student with an IEP.
- Guidance to Address Return to Learn for Students with IEPs
Establishes special education priority topics for the 2020-2021 school year and provides answers to a series of questions MDE has received in a uniform and consistent manner.
- Mediation and Dispute Resolution
Find ways for parents and schools to problem solve about special education issues.
Find information about determining a student’s eligibility for special education programs and services.
- Michigan Administrative Rules for Special Education (MARSE)
The MARSE are the Michigan rules to follow when implementing special education laws.
Michigan submits a State Performance Plan/Annual Performance Report (SPP/APR) to the U.S. Department of Education each year. The SPP/APR shows Michigan’s progress on each federal special education indicator and outlines the plan for the future.
- Supports for Students With Disabilities
Many offices and organizations outside of the OSE support students with disabilities. Look through the different supports for students with disabilities for help from other sources.
- Michigan Special Education Reference (MI-SER)
The MI-SER is a database of federal and state special education law and policy information and resources.
- Sign-up for Announcement from the OSE
Sign-up to receive email announcements from the Office of Special Education.