- Information Line
Do you have a question related to special education?
- Parent Resources
Information about special education for parents and families.
- Procedural Safeguards
Schools must provide notice to parents about the protections and rights for their
children with disabilities.
- Michigan Department of Education Seeks Public Comment on Special Education State Complaint Procedures and Model Forms
- The Resolution Meeting
A resolution meeting is held when a parent files a due process complaint requesting a hearing against a school district. The district is required to contact the parent to schedule a resolution meeting.
- Compensatory Education
The purpose of compensatory education is to remedy a public agency's failure to provide a child with a disability with "appropriate services" during the time the child is (or was) entitled to a free appropriate public education when itis determined appropriate services were denied.
- Individualized Education Program (IEP) Development: Supplementary Aids and Services
When developing an IEP for a student the IEP Team is required to include a description of the supplementary aids and services, based on peer-reviewed research to the extent practicable, including modifications, accommodations and supports for school personnel.
- The Path Forward Strategic Action Plan
An outcome-focused plan to bring about systemic change to support post-school success for students with disabilities in Michigan.
- Return to Learn for Students with IEPs Webinars
Recording and slides from MDE Office of Special Education hosted webinars from September and December.
- MDE COVID-19 Special Education Information and Resources
- Previously Released Guidance
A list of all guidance documents released by the Office of Special Education.
- Consent as Defined in IDEA
This document focuses on the requirements for consent under Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Refer to the federal regulations for the full description of initial evaluations, re-evaluations, initial services and Individualized Education Program (IEP) Teams.
- Guidance for Compliance with IDEA and the MARSE During the
This guidance document is designed to assist districts in meeting the IDEA
Part B and MARSE requirements in support of Governor Whitmer's Executive Order
- Guidance to Address Foregone Learning for Students with IEPs as a Result of the COVID19 Pandemic
Students with IEPs may benefit from recovery services due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Recovery services are supplemental to the offer of FAPE and are in response to foregone learning that may have occurred as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent school building closures and the potential additional impact of the loss for a student with an IEP.
- Comparison of Compensatory Education and Recovery Services Due to COVID-19
- Guidance to Address Return to Learn for Students with IEPs
Establishes special education priority topics for the 2020-2021 school year and provides answers to a series of questions MDE has received in a uniform and consistent manner.
- Mediation and Dispute Resolution
Find ways for parents and schools to problem solve about special education issues.
Find information about determining a student’s eligibility for special education programs and services.
- Michigan Administrative Rules for Special Education (MARSE)
The MARSE are the Michigan rules to follow when implementing special education laws.
Michigan submits a State Performance Plan/Annual Performance Report (SPP/APR) to the U.S. Department of Education each year. The SPP/APR shows Michigan’s progress on each federal special education indicator and outlines the plan for the future.
- Supports for Students With Disabilities
Many offices and organizations outside of the OSE support students with disabilities. Look through the different supports for students with disabilities for help from other sources.
- Michigan Special Education Reference (MI-SER)
The MI-SER is a database of federal and state special education law and policy information and resources.
- Sign-up for Announcement from the OSE
Sign-up to receive email announcements from the Office of Special Education.