Skip to main content

Adding an Endorsement to a MI Teaching Certificate

An endorsement can be added to a Michigan teaching certificate by way of one of the following paths:

  1. Complete a state-approved endorsement program with at least 20 semester credit hours of coursework through a state-approved Educator Preparation Program (EPP). The program can be completed through a Michigan institution, an Michigan approved alternative route program, or an institution located in another state.
  2. Complete another state’s approved endorsement program with less than 20 semester credit hours of coursework and hold the endorsement on a valid, standard out-of-state teaching certificate.
  3. *Successfully teach in another state within the endorsement area for a minimum of three years since adding the endorsement to the out-of-state certificate. Note: The out-of-state teaching certificate must be valid during the three years of successful teaching experience but does not have to be valid at the time of application.

An application to add an endorsement to a valid Michigan teaching certificate is created through the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS).Teachers who have completed endorsement programs at Michigan institutions must work directly with their certification officer to ensure the application is processed correctly.

Teachers who have completed out-of-state endorsement programs will be evaluated by the Office of Educator Excellence (OEE). Applicants must satisfy all the requirements for the endorsement and pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) endorsement test before the endorsement can be added to the Michigan teaching certificate. Teachers are not encouraged to take the MTTC until the OEE evaluation is completed and an evaluation report is issued indicating the test that must be passed. The cost of an evaluation is $50 and does not guarantee the endorsement will be approved.

Michigan teachers may work in subject areas or grade levels outside of those listed on their certificate only under the system of permits available to the school that employs them. A permit is NOT needed for the first 90-calendar days a teacher is teaching outside of their areas of endorsement or grade level.

*Path #3 cannot be used to add Special Education endorsements. Completion of a Special Education program is required. Additional documentation will be required for out-of-state program completers when applying to add Special Education endorsements.