The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
In accordance with current Michigan law the following are some of the guidelines for implementing a Balanced Calendar:
- Balanced Calendar schools are required to meet 180 days of instructional time and 1098 instructional hours
- Balanced Calendar schools may select and customize multiple breaks throughout the school year
- For the 2020-2021 school year a district may start before Labor Day without requesting a waiver (MCL.380.1284b)
- Balanced Calendar schools are required to meet the ISD common Professional Development days and other ISD-wide calendar events
- Balanced Calendars must comply with state assessment dates
For additional questions and support regarding Balanced Calendar, please contact the Michigan Department of Education at MDE-Balanced-Calendar@michigan.gov