Skip to main content


  • Michigan law requires that any school operating in the state have a valid Certificate of Occupancy and make available to the public all health and safety reports regarding school facilities. Failure to obtain necessary inspections and obtain this certificate results in a potential withholding of State Aid.

    Information about the requirements and procedures for obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy is maintained at the Bureau of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA). Please feel free to contact with specific questions.

  • Property occupied by a public school academy and used exclusively for educational purposes is exempt from some real and personal property taxes.

    The Michigan Public Educational Facilities Authority is dedicated to providing opportunities for low-cost financing and technical assistance for qualified public educational facilities and public school academies through its bonding and loan programs. Please call (517) 335-0994 to learn more.