Municipal Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator CertificationContact: Earl Wuestnick 517-881-0797
To mitigate the spread of COVID-19, the May 7, 2020 exam is rescheduled for July 30, 2020. If you applied by the original application deadline, your application is being moved to this date; you will be contacted regarding this change. If you did not apply for the May 7 exam, you are not eligible for the July 30 exam but may apply for the November 5, 2020 exam. If you have questions, please contact Earl Wuestnick at WuestnickE@michigan.gov or Alyssa Sarver at SarverA@michigan.gov.
Municipal wastewater certification examinations are offered twice a year, usually in May and November. Certification is offered for Class A, B, C, D, L1, L2, and SC. Education and experience requirements for each of the classifications are described in the Certification Board Policy. The semester hour credits required at the A and B classifications may be earned from colleges and universities or by successfully completing the appropriate courses from the list of Board Approved Semester Hour Equivalent (SHE) Courses.
- EXAM DATE: May 7, 2020
- Application Deadline Date: March 16, 2020
- Download the Application - Word version for Fill-in
- Download the Application - PDF for Fill-in or Printing
- Application Instructions
- Exam study guide Class A - treatment facility serving or designed to serve a population of 50,000 or more
- Exam study guide Class B - treatment facility serving or designed to serve a population of 10,000 to 50,000
- Exam study guide Class C and D - treatment facility serving or designed to serve a population less than 10,000
- Exam study guide Class L1 and L2 - treatment facility utilizing waste stabilization lagoon process
- Exam study guide Class SC - special classification
CERTIFICATION RENEWAL: To renew a certificate, the certified operator must submit a renewal application and provide proof of approved continuing education credits (CECs) earned during the renewal cycle. These should be submitted 4 to 6 weeks before the certificate expiration date. To renew an A or B certificate, the certified operator shall have completed, during the renewal cycle, not less than 2.4 CECs of board-approved continuing education training. Not less than 0.6 CECs of the training shall be technical training and not less than 0.6 CECs of the training shall be managerial training. To renew a Class C, D, L2, or L1 certificate, the certified operator shall have completed, during the renewal cycle, not less than 1.2 CECs of board-approved continuing education training. For Class C certification renewal, no more than 0.6 CECs of training in the non-managerial, non-technical category may be used to meet the continuing education requirement. There are no continuing education requirements for a class "SC" certificate. Please refer to the following documents for more information.
Municipal Wastewater Certification Renewal Application
The Municipal Wastewater Treatment Certification section of Act 451, Part 41