Skip to main content

Inland Lakes and Streams Permits

Contact: Your project's local WRD District Office

Permit applications under Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act 1994 PA 451, as amended, must be submitted to the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE), Water Resources Division (WRD) district office on the proper form along with the proper application fee.   Upon making a determination that the application is complete, staff will review for technical impacts, perform a site inspection, and make a decision.

Decisions on inland lakes and streams permit applications are based on EGLE's review of the proposed project in light of the criteria in Part 301 and associated administrative rules.   In general, the applicant must show the project will not adversely affect the public trust or riparian rights.   EGLE also considers any public comments that have been received prior to making a permit decision.

EGLE may approve a permit application, request modification to an application, or deny an application.   Decisions on permit applications can be appealed by contacting the Office of Administrative Hearings in writing within 60 days of the permit decision and requesting a formal hearing. 

A joint state and federal permit process has been established between EGLE and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) for proposed projects in areas which have both state and federal jurisdiction. The WRD will determine whether a permit application requires joint state and federal review, and when appropriate, will forward these permit applications to the USACE Detroit office for federal permitting review. 

Joint Permit Application

Part 301 authorizes EGLE to define types of activities that would be expected to have only a minor impact on inland lakes and streams and that can, therefore, be reviewed through an expedited permit application process.  Activities that are authorized under a Minor Permit or General Permit category do not require an individual public notice and are often subject to lower application fees.  A person seeking authorization under a Minor Permit or General Permit category must submit a permit application using the EGLE/USACE Joint Permit Application Form. 

Permit Categories for Wetlands, Inland Lakes and Streams, Great Lakes, and Floodplains