The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Village of Milford
Village of Milford
The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) has issued an Administrative Order requiring ZF Active Safety US Inc. (ZF) to install a treatment system to address contamination threatening the Village of Milford’s drinking water. It is important to note that this is a pre-emptive measure and the Village of Milford’s water supply remains safe to use and drink.
On June 4, 2021, EGLE was notified by ZF’s Environmental Consultant of the presence of vinyl chloride, one of the chlorinated volatile organic compounds (CVOCs), in excess of drinking water standards in a monitoring well close to the Village of Milford’s drinking water wells. EGLE notified ZF of its responsibility to address the threat, and after ZF failed to take action in a timely manner, EGLE proceeded to issue the Administrative Order.
Groundwater contamination has migrated from property formerly owned and operated by ZF’s predecessor Kelsey-Hayes Company. The contamination is composed of CVOCs, which are harmful to human health, even at low levels. These CVOCs have migrated beyond the current groundwater treatment system that ZF has in place to treat the contamination, and pose a threat to the Village of Milford’s drinking water supply wells.
To reiterate, this is a pre-emptive measure and the Village of Milford’s water supply remains safe to use and drink. EGLE is working continuously with the Village of Milford to protect public health, safety, welfare, and the environment.
Correspondence Fall 2021 to Present
Correspondence October 2021 till present
- DRAFT Milford ZF Progress Report No 5 - 2022-09-15 Download
- DRAFT Milford ZF Progress Report No 6 - 2022-10-14 Download
- DRAFT Milford ZF Progress Report No 7 - 2022-11-15 Download
- DRAFT Milford ZF Progress Report No 8 - 2022-12-15 Download
- DRAFT Milford ZF Progress Report No 9 - 2023-01-13 Download
- Email and Technical Summary Report Update - 2022-11-14 Download
- Letter and Technical Summary Report – 2022-08-09 Download
- September Laboratory Report OW-16 Wells – 2022-08-10 Download
- Milford ZF Progress Report No. 4 – 2022-08-15 Download
- September Laboratory Report OW-16 Wells – 2022-09-13 Download
- Milford ZF Progress Report No. 3 – 2022-07-15 Download
- Letter from EGLE to ZF Corp: Documentation Requirements related to Administrative Order – 2022-06-28 Download
- Milford ZF Progress Report No. 2 – 2022-06-15 Download
- ZF Response to EGLE Comments on Work Plan - 2022-05-15 Download
- Milford ZF Progress Report No 1 - 2022-05-15 Download
- EGLE RRD Response to Monitoring Well and Vertical Aquifer Profiling Work Plan - 05-04-2022 Download
- ZF Submittal of Monitoring Well Rehabilitation and Vertical Aquifer Profiling Work Plan EGLE AO-RRD-22-001 - 04-22-2022 Download
- ZF Response and Intent to Comply EGLE AO RRD-22-001 - 04-15-2022 Download
- EGLE Response to ZF Active Safety US Inc - 04-14-2022 Download
- ZF Letter To EGLE Regarding Administrative Order RRD-22-001 Follow-Up Additional Information Kelsey-Hayes Milford - 04-13-2022 Download
- Kelsey Hayes Administrative Order - 03-16-2022 Download
- Kelsey-Hayes Administrative Order Transmittal Letter - 03-16-2022 Download
- ZF Active Safety US Incorporated Response to EGLE Compliance Communications - 11-13-2021 Download
- Section 14 - Carbon Copy Kelsey-Hayes Treatment System - 10-25-2021 Download
Maps and Data