Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
The National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) provides downloadable braille and audio books and magazines through the BARD website. These books are the electronic versions of the same digital books that NLS produces on cartridge. Membership to BARD is available to all individuals who are patrons of the library. Eligible users may register at the BARD site and download books to a thumb drive to be played on any digital player. Or go mobile with the free BARD mobile app. The BARD mobile app works on all iPads, iPhone 3GS and later, iPod touch versions 4 and 5, and Android operating systems 4.1 or later.
(In order for bard to work correctly you need a high-speed Internet connection, and an email address.)
1. Go to nlsbard.loc.gov
2. Click or press enter On Bard Application instructions
3. Click or press enter on "link to bard application for individuals" or "link to bard application for institutions": whatever is appropriate.
4. Choose the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped where the patron is registered and press enter on or click the submit button.
5. Fill out the second part of the application that appears. Click or press enter on the submit button.
In one to two days after filling out your application you will get a response from NLS, the (National Library Service). If you are approved you will get 2 emails. The first will acknowledge that they received your application. The second will contain a welcome message, user name, and temporary password.
6. Go to nlsbard.loc.gov.
7. Log in using your user name and temporary password.
8. You will be prompted to create a permanent password.
9. Pick a new permanent password and enter it making sure to follow the password requirements.
10. Congratulations! You can now start downloading books.
Learn about BARD by watching the BARD Mobile 'How-To Series' created by NLS on YouTube (video embedded below). This series features 16 how-to videos about various BARD functions, such as using BARD on an Android and using the Voiceover functions on your device.
BARD Express is available to patrons beginning December 2016! This free Windows-based application simplifies searching for, downloading, and transferring audio materials from BARD to a cartridge or a USB flash drive for playback on a digital player. An active BARD account and a personal computer running Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 are needed in order to use BARD Express. View the BARD Express How-To Series YouTube videos to learn more (video embedded below).